Lagging

· PS FAQ · Search Forum · Any ET related problems? Post them here
Gold Star

Lagging

Postby Ossy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 16:04

I played now for months ET without lagging..
And a few days ago I started lagging.
I tried: /rate 25000 and /rate 40000 , cl_maxpackets 100 , and snaps 20
didn't work.
And I stopped all other programs (Like torrent or something)
Can someone help me plz?

Ossy

Veteran

Postby Plastic_Jesus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 16:50

Connection problems, my favourite.
Well, it can be caused almost by anything.
Firstly I would like to know that are there any other people who use your connection. Also it would be nice to know the speed of your connection, so then it is easier to know that does even the smallest problems make your connection lag.

I can give couple of tips for now. I assume you have Windows 7 at least. If so then press Windows button and enter this on the search: "cmd.exe". When you get there, put this in it:
Code: Select all
ping "provider's IP" -n "the number of packets you want to test"

Here is an example (sorry it is in Finnish but I can translate if necessary):
The meaning of the yellow box, is to show the results and the actual ping of your connection.
Rex box is what I typed to show my ping.

In my opinion this way works better than pingest.net or speedtest.net. You can decide yourself how many packets you want to test. In my example I tried 10 and as you can see my connection sucks horribly.

But in my connection's case the reason why I have such a bad ping average (normally it supposed to be 22) is that my brother uses webcamera to chat with some people. It really blocks the whole connection and makes it unstable.

Also possible things which could make your connection lag are possible viruses, some program which uses connection (Steam, Xfire, Skype and etc.).

There are dozens of possibilities. If your connection is fine but ET lags, then problem is in ET or something else. It can be anything. ;)

So I do not know was I the best possible help for you but at least give some information of connection speed.

- Plastic Jesus
S.S.Atrocity wrote:Im pretty sure Saukko will have pages worth of bugs found before anyone knows about the release...lol

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Thu Dec 20, 2012 18:28

Plastic_Jesus wrote:Connection problems, my favourite.
Well, it can be caused almost by anything.
Firstly I would like to know that are there any other people who use your connection. Also it would be nice to know the speed of your connection, so then it is easier to know that does even the smallest problems make your connection lag.

I can give couple of tips for now. I assume you have Windows 7 at least. If so then press Windows button and enter this on the search: "cmd.exe". When you get there, put this in it:
Code: Select all
ping "provider's IP" -n "the number of packets you want to test"

Here is an example (sorry it is in Finnish but I can translate if necessary):
The meaning of the yellow box, is to show the results and the actual ping of your connection.
Rex box is what I typed to show my ping.

In my opinion this way works better than pingest.net or speedtest.net. You can decide yourself how many packets you want to test. In my example I tried 10 and as you can see my connection sucks horribly.

But in my connection's case the reason why I have such a bad ping average (normally it supposed to be 22) is that my brother uses webcamera to chat with some people. It really blocks the whole connection and makes it unstable.

Also possible things which could make your connection lag are possible viruses, some program which uses connection (Steam, Xfire, Skype and etc.).

There are dozens of possibilities. If your connection is fine but ET lags, then problem is in ET or something else. It can be anything. ;)

So I do not know was I the best possible help for you but at least give some information of connection speed.

- Plastic Jesus

NIce but if U have router U can check the sami in router firmware that should give U more true values than inside windows
but Plastic Jesus has right check your PC from some malware or viruses and check all drives expecially graphic whether they are current

Gold Star

Postby Ossy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:01

Here is some information from the IP from my standard gateway:

Don't know you can help me.
I have a good virusscan, I scan everyday.
And got no Programs running that use connection (but I will doublecheck that)
(Note: don't have much experience with connection stuff)

Ossy

Veteran

Postby Plastic_Jesus » Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:17

Well it seems to look fine, you can even confirm from speedtest.net and pingtest.net that you have a right connection speed as supposed. It could be something related to ET. Could I also ask you that when did this problem start? Did you change anything in your computer lately? Or have you had these kind of problems before?

-*S
S.S.Atrocity wrote:Im pretty sure Saukko will have pages worth of bugs found before anyone knows about the release...lol

Gold Star

Postby Ossy » Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:32

I changed nothing..
Results on speedtest.net:

thx for helping by the way!! appreciate that

Ossy

Server High Admin

Postby carebear » Thu Dec 20, 2012 23:53

try to disable all outgoing connections, i use for this the windows 7 firewall control, which is for free ;)

http://sphinx-soft.com/Vista/index.html

Good tool to disable all progz that could have influence on your ping.

Maybe this can help you :lol:

Return to ET Help Desk