Is this a Videocard problem?

· PS FAQ · Search Forum · Any ET related problems? Post them here
Spam God

Is this a Videocard problem?

Postby lazy-lion » Sat May 14, 2011 21:51

So I got this fps problem for a long time now and I was wondering if it could be a videocard problem. Since I know is the interface between the computer and the computerscreen and since I think something is damaged at my video card (dont know this for sure).

When I'm in a map, let's take ctf_face, and I look to the sky (hardly any textures and stuff) I have 142 fps constant, but when I turn the point of view down, to the map its drops to 15-20 fps. And since the video card is the interlace between the computer and display... I thought maybe its a video card problem.

So I checked on a site where you can check in if you can run a game and this is the outcome. I have no idea why I got a X by video card.. (Pic is down)

I hope some of you can confirm my theory, so I can buy a new video card and play ET as I used to do. :)

"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." - Gary Lineker

Official Member

Postby Toup » Sun May 15, 2011 0:00

Open up you pc and see if there's something wrong, but anyway, that's not one of the best GPUs but mine is worse (integrated intel graphics) and i have no problems.

If you see nothing strange for yourself you should probably either get it fixed or buy a new one. (if there's something wrong with the GPU).

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Sun May 15, 2011 13:28

You said I should get it fixed..
Could you tell me how?
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." - Gary Lineker

Official Member

Postby Toup » Sun May 15, 2011 13:37

Visit some computer store, i'm not expert in this as you can imagine ^^.

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Sun May 15, 2011 14:05

Aha,
neither am I...
I'll see what I can do. I dont have much time now a days. ;)

EDIT. I have a new question.. What is the best Video card which can run on my computer? (If you need information you have to ask exactly what you want so I can find it. xD Otherwise I won't be able to find it. :O)

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Sun May 15, 2011 18:56

geforce 430

cheap and will run ET fine

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-ge ... 30-us.html

Edit: this will need to be inserted in a PCIex port, if your motherboard has an AGP port for your graphics card DO NOT BUY THIS (and you can't buy a new graphics card if this is the case because they don't make graphics card that fit into AGP anymore)

if you don't know which port your motherboard has, post a picture ^^

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Sun May 15, 2011 19:57

Dre_of_chaos wrote:geforce 430

cheap and will run ET fine

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product-ge ... 30-us.html

Edit: this will need to be inserted in a PCIex port, if your motherboard has an AGP port for your graphics card DO NOT BUY THIS (and you can't buy a new graphics card if this is the case because they don't make graphics card that fit into AGP anymore)

if you don't know which port your motherboard has, post a picture ^^

From what do I have to make a picture? Because I really dont know..

Official Member

Postby Death » Sun May 15, 2011 21:27

See the AGP slot? :)
there you should take a picture from

<icy> seems a guy i know from seeing gave it to me on the mens toilet

Official Member

Postby deep » Sun May 15, 2011 21:29

From the slot where you insert the graphics card, to make sure that the new card would fit in your motherboard.

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Mon May 16, 2011 7:30

or give model of your motherboard :> i think U have geforce fx5200 this graphic card is for agp slot:> so your motherboard have agp:>
some AGP cards:> http://www.bazarcen.pl/kat2-16.html

Official Member

Postby -Drag- » Mon May 16, 2011 13:51

Also your PSU( Power supply unit) since you cant get a fast card and have a shitty PSU :P. Usually, the watt should be named in the name.

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Mon May 16, 2011 14:47

just buy a new pc

don't buy a whole pc, get the specific parts separatly (motherboard, vga,psu,cpu,hdd, ram) and install them into your current case (if the motherboard and psu fit ofcourse)

this way you can buy a low-end pc for about 400€ (depending on how low-end the parts are)

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Mon May 16, 2011 14:48

@death
Woow thats like abracadabra for me. :)
But I know what I have, thanks!

@sidor
Yes I have a GeForce FX 5200.. So that means I have AGP..

@drag
I dont catch that.. :OO

Dre_of_chaos wrote:just buy a new pc

don't buy a whole pc, get the specific parts separatly (motherboard, vga,psu,cpu,hdd, ram) and install them into your current case (if the motherboard and psu fit ofcourse)

this way you can buy a low-end pc for about 400€ (depending on how low-end the parts are)

Im not that rich, you know... Im 15.. And I dont want to spend that much money for just one game.. :)

Official Member

Postby Death » Mon May 16, 2011 15:00

More clear? :D

But like you say, you are only 15, havent got much money and it's only to play ET normal so you dont really want to waste money on a FREE game XD

I understand it since i had the same :P

Just look on Marktplaats or ebay or whatever for a cheap video card. Most of times it will say in the description what it is (AGP or SCI) and else you can e-mail and ask them.

Or, just take your video card out and go to a local store and ask for a cheap one that is just a little better. you'll be out max. 50 euro's i think

Since you have enough RAM to run ET properly you should be fine then.

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Mon May 16, 2011 15:10

Death wrote:Image

More clear? :D

But like you say, you are only 15, havent got much money and it's only to play ET normal so you dont really want to waste money on a FREE game XD

I understand it since i had the same :P

Just look on Marktplaats or ebay or whatever for a cheap video card. Most of times it will say in the description what it is (AGP or SCI) and else you can e-mail and ask them.

Or, just take your video card out and go to a local store and ask for a cheap one that is just a little better. you'll be out max. 50 euro's i think

Since you have enough RAM to run ET properly you should be fine then.

Awesome. xD
Thanks for the quick response.
Yes, thats just the way how i feel about ET.

I already thought about Marktplaats.
I'll look for a good one.. And my max was 50 euros or something..

Btw. Yes, the pic is clear now. xD

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue May 17, 2011 0:15

Maybe a smart thing would have been to first check the actual graphics card, before recommending buying a new one ;)

Reason is the fact that i just checked my own computer on the same site you did and here are the results:

Looking at this, my graphics card (entire cpu) IS MUCH MUCH WORSE. Ans i can play ET totally fine... Ive been able to play GTA (IV i believe) and WoW on lowest quality on this computer and it worked... you should be more then fine with that video card.

The problem is definitly not with your video card but will probably be with some settings you have on your pc. I have no idea what settings so maybe someone else can help you with that.

PS: when you scanned your pc you checked if Wolfenstein could run on it... this is however the wolfenstein 2010 version and not the free multiplayer game we know as ET ;)
Try re-running the test with as goal Enemy Territory - Quake wars. You'll probable be fine if you check it on that game and ET is even lower then Quake wars :P

Official Member

Postby -Drag- » Tue May 17, 2011 8:05

I agree with death here, you should check your current card, and see if its full of dust.

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Tue May 17, 2011 15:53

@death
Yes, I also tried with Enemy Territory - Quack Wars..
I got the same error then.. I have all the specs etc.

What do you mean with settings? What settings??

@drag

I cleaned it as for as I can.. I'll look if it helps..

Edit. Ok, its slightly improved now.. Still on some maps 20fps (like axis lab outside, glider)

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Tue May 17, 2011 19:02

how long U use OS on your PC? maybe time to reinstall windows and delete some aplications?

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Tue May 17, 2011 19:18

Haha, this problem came after I reinstalled Windows XP.. :)

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Tue May 17, 2011 19:28

hmm strange:> U checked temperature on your GPU and cooler if U have:)?

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Tue May 17, 2011 22:02

Hmm yes, I did.. But I can't find the GPU..
I have 2 pics of the temperatures and one shows some coolers, I don't know if its a GPU cooler, I don't think so actually..

Here are the pics:

http://img199.imageshack.us/i/temperatures1.png/
http://img804.imageshack.us/i/temperatures.png/

Official Member

Postby Death » Tue May 17, 2011 23:09

TMPIN2 stands for Temperature Input 2. If your motherboard only supports 1 cpu temp, then what ever the value of the memory or bios where the HWMonitor thinks the value is stored it displays. So say the value in that memory or bios block is 128 because there is 128 k length for the name of your motherboard in the bios. I am going to assume since 128 is dividable by 2, lets see 2 to the 7th power, and memory has always been based on power of 2 (64kb then 128 kb then 256 kb) and 128 is a hugely used computer number in that is a full byte of info in binary, that would be 1111 1111.
So again I am going to say you have TMPIN2 checked in settings in HWMonitor but your motherboard doesn't have a sensor for it, so it is just displaying whatever info is stored where it THINKS it should be.

Other values look normal too.

PS: ill check my own BIOS for some values tonight or tomorrow and ill post it.

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Wed May 18, 2011 8:16

lazy-lion wrote:Haha, this problem came after I reinstalled Windows XP.. :)

did you forget to update your graphics card drivers?

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Wed May 18, 2011 15:54

@Death
Okay thats good, so my values look normall?

@dre
Yes, I did that already.

Next

Return to ET Help Desk