Myths about Mortar

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory discussion section
Spam Kid

Myths about Mortar

Postby Limitbreaker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 14:03

Hey,

I would like to just laugh off few myths about mortar - things people are saying but they usually don't think what are they saying...

I will start off with the greatest BS I've read here:
Mortar doesn't help your team.
What? How can it NOT help its team? So, well, with a mortar shot you're killing 1/4 of enemy's team (happens very often) after they leave the spawn, so you DO help your team, by killing enemies. Your team has less to kill and worry about, thus a bigger chance to survive and complete the objective.

Anti Mortar camera comment:
Takes over the role of coverts to see behind enemy lines. Normally enemy players pop-up on the command map when a covert spots them, especially handy for... the guy with the mortar
Okay, here you (Warren) are right, I agree with you... Halfly. On servers like PS#1 people rarely care about spotting enemies as cover ops, I doubt that 30% people would think about it as a way helping Mortar guy!

Mortar cam is unrealistic.
I can't remember who said it, it could be on different forum... Anyway, yes, it is unrealistic. But compare it to many other unrealistic things:
- soldiers on full hit points after being revived by medic
- double jump - usual on servers with mortar cam anyway
- hitboxes - you shoot like crazy but you hit the body?...
So, that's not an argument or a dime of it.

Mortar is for noobs who can't use normal weapons.
Holy crap, that means many of our ancestors were... Nobody but noobs! What if your ancestor used a tank in a real life war against his enemies? This might sound stupid but it sounds as stupid as this, quoted message. Mortar is a part of the game and you can't help it, same goes for aircrafts in Battlefield 2 - if you can't hide from the aircraft, it is your fault. However, nobody calls aircraft users "noobs", since you need to be very experienced. This is opposite to mortar - coz, by your means, you don't need any skills to use mortar. Does it make every player who uses a mortar - a noob?

This is not meant to attack anyone. It is meant to attack the myths about mortar, as title says. Please don't feel offended.

Pozdrav.
I see the Angels,
I'll lead them to your door.
There is no escape now,
No mercy no more!

Spam God

Postby -Gighen- » Sun Nov 02, 2008 14:23

i'm not offended. but i love the mortar and anyone can says than Gighen can't use other weapons!!!! i love the mortar cam ,too, because it'isn't for nub, but it help you to don't do sk, tk ecc...
i think that ....
sry or my incredible, sux english!! :oops:
-Gighen-

Spam Lord

Postby CheeKy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 15:22

Just a few questions about what mod are you talking, is mortar cam enabled and how many players.

What? How can it NOT help its team? So, well, with a mortar shot you're killing 1/4 of enemy's team (happens very often) after they leave the spawn, so you DO help your team, by killing enemies. Your team has less to kill and worry about, thus a bigger chance to survive and complete the objective.

In a public server(NQ)mortar is quite usefull but there are just a few people who can use it without a cam and then again it depends on the amount of players.
For ETPro, Mortar sucks it probably doesnt help your team in any way because it takes ages before you can shoot, you dont know when the enemy spawns(unless you use spawn timer) and panzer is 100 times better.
Okay, here you (Warren) are right, I agree with you... Halfly. On servers like PS#1 people rarely care about spotting enemies as cover ops, I doubt that 30% people would think about it as a way helping Mortar guy

Ok this doesnt make ANY sense.
I can't remember who said it, it could be on different forum... Anyway, yes, it is unrealistic. But compare it to many other unrealistic things:
- soldiers on full hit points after being revived by medic
- double jump - usual on servers with mortar cam anyway
- hitboxes - you shoot like crazy but you hit the body?...
So, that's not an argument or a dime of it.

Agreed.
Holy crap, that means many of our ancestors were... Nobody but noobs! What if your ancestor used a tank in a real life war against his enemies? This might sound stupid but it sounds as stupid as this, quoted message. Mortar is a part of the game and you can't help it, same goes for aircrafts in Battlefield 2 - if you can't hide from the aircraft, it is your fault. However, nobody calls aircraft users "noobs", since you need to be very experienced. This is opposite to mortar - coz, by your means, you don't need any skills to use mortar. Does it make every player who uses a mortar - a noob?

LOL, at comparing VL with RL. You definitely dont need any skills to use a mortar with a cam, every noob can do it. Thats why it makes mortar a noob weapon. This is also the reason that people who use it are called noobs.

Spam Pro

Postby Audio » Sun Nov 02, 2008 16:47

If you use Mortar people will hate you. :P

Blasting outside spawns is very dishonorable (lame) for the other team and EXTRA lame if you cheer + woot at having 35killing spree.
Fact !! :P

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:16

Gives people like me a chance to ruin his wunderful spree with a lil covop action ;)
LOL, at comparing VL with RL. You definitely dont need any skills to use a mortar with a cam, every noob can do it. Thats why it makes mortar a noob weapon. This is also the reason that people who use it are called noobs.

The mortar cam gives an advatage to hit places where you normally would never get a mortar to hit. It also makes spawn blocking (especially in goldrush) way too easy.

If im correct, you can see the people your teammates can see in mortar cam BUT not those who you or your teammates dont. or not?

Spam Lord

Postby CheeKy » Sun Nov 02, 2008 17:58

I seriously dont understand the last sentence and cant make something of it as well.

Spam God

Postby flow » Sun Nov 02, 2008 21:16

one picture tells all...

[ǝʌɐS-ԀX] 2# uoɹpɐnbS ǝɯ!ɹԀ Ⅎo uǝℲ

Spam Kid

Postby Limitbreaker » Sun Nov 02, 2008 21:59

Hey again,

Yeah, sorry, I kinda couldn't find contra on this one, so it turned into stupid comparision. Yep, you don't need any skills to rule with it, but seriously, if someone's not a noob, and he can use other weapons as well, what's the problem for everyone else to let him use mortar?...

I seriously dont understand the last sentence and cant make something of it as well.
My english isn't best, that's why. In short: my post wasn't supposed to offend anyone.

In a public server(NQ)mortar is quite usefull but there are just a few people who can use it without a cam and then again it depends on the amount of players.
For ETPro, Mortar sucks it probably doesnt help your team in any way because it takes ages before you can shoot, you dont know when the enemy spawns(unless you use spawn timer) and panzer is 100 times better.
Yeap, I mean public of course. I doubt anyone would like to read that text if he is playing Professional games every week or so.

w0lf, nice one :D
I see the Angels,
There is no escape now,
No mercy no more!

Spam Lord

Postby CheeKy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:24

Yep, you don't need any skills to rule with it, but seriously, if someone's not a noob, and he can use other weapons as well, what's the problem for everyone else to let him use mortar?...

First of all its lame. Second I rather stand a chance in a fair 1v1 head on than getting hit by something you cant see as soon as you walk out the spawn. Third people get ultra high sprees by just sucking.

In case you didnt notice there are just a few players which are good and use mortar as well. A few reasons for this are: You make far more kills with MP40/Thompson(mortar is most of the time pure luck). Using mortar is ultra boring you just sit and launch shells, thats it and when someone is hunting you than you will hardly make any kills. Note that most mortar players surive that long because nobody searches them nor do they attempt to kill them. This allows them to get massive sprees especially when the Allies have an advantage and the Axis cant get out their spawn or not far.

Overall Mortar(WITH CAM) is 1 of the lamest weapons in NQ. It doesnt require any skill at all and the chances that you get killed are quite low.

Spam Kid

Postby Limitbreaker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 14:43

Well, we can't argue about that - it is simply pointless as my point of view differs too much from yours - you prefer fair 1vs1 while I don't care if it's 1v5 as long as I pawn them or get pawned, then it's my fault.
I see the Angels,
There is no escape now,
No mercy no more!

Spam Lord

Postby CheeKy » Mon Nov 03, 2008 16:51

It seems that you dont get my point. I rather play head on MP40 vs eachother than I get hit by Arty/Mortars/Panzers or whatever.

Spam Pro

Postby Audio » Mon Nov 03, 2008 19:29

Would most of the negative points on mortar be different if they set up away from spawn and actually aimed at an objective instead of spawn?

And how many people actually use it to disable tanks? :roll:

Spam Kid

Postby Limitbreaker » Mon Nov 03, 2008 23:19

Audio wrote:Would most of the negative points on mortar be different if they set up away from spawn and actually aimed at an objective instead of spawn?

And how many people actually use it to disable tanks? :roll:

How many? Nobody, since nobody "spots" them. Actually if nobody mantained to spot the tank, the mortar won't be able to hit it, and if someone did, then other people did destroy the tank and you would rather teamkill grenade-spamming friendlies than hit the tank...

CheeKy - maybe.
I see the Angels,
There is no escape now,
No mercy no more!

Return to Enemy Territory Talk