MD5

Wolfenstein: Enemy Territory discussion section
Veteran

MD5

Postby Ferocious » Fri Jun 22, 2007 0:25

Couldn't Find a Topic Related to This.

So Why do people get kicked for MD5?

i have never been kicked for MD5 Queries or anything like that. Hmm... but i see alot of people get kicked even some from -|PS|-

i do some research on the internet and i get some results.

1. Executing or injecting another file with a single application. for example: ET + crushr 8O pretty much cheating :evil:

2. A site say its a server bug.

3. Invaild PK3 files / corrupt or Invaild DLL's

this left me quite confused. :?:

i think it's 2 or 3 i dont belive people can cheat with pb if they do. it will soon get an update it will be detected :D the player is banned 8)

what do others think about this MD5 kicking?

Website Manager

Postby warren-the-ape » Fri Jun 22, 2007 0:29

Post from our member forum;
----------------

Some of you may have noticed that people are being kicked for a
MD5Tool mismatch or violation.

What the hell is MD5Tool?

First of all MD5Tool is NOT a cheat.
MD5Tool is a check used by PunkBuster to see if a particular file is present on a system, or if a file has been changed.

The program scans files on your PC and generates a string, or text characters, based on those files scanned.
The string can be compared to check if you are running a certain program, in the case of punkbuster (pbbans, punksbusted) a hack.

Why does someone get an MD5Tool Mismatch kick/violation?
(crosspost from punksbusted.com)

punksbusted.com wrote:An MD5Tool Mismatch violation indicates that the admin of the server you were playing on has set PunkBuster up to perform extra checks on your game files.

In the error message, you will get a filename such as:

MD5Tool Mismatch: RendDX9.dll

This shows that the MD5Tool violation was caused by the RendDX9.dll file. If the file is a stock file that is distributed with the game (such as RendDX9.dll for BF2 in this example) then it is likely that the file is corrupt in some way. This could be due to a bad patch/update, hard drive problems or similar. It is recommended that you either reinstall to get the original copy of the file or get a copy from a trusted friend.

Some files, typically the main game executable (BF2.exe etc), or sometimes important DLL files (Core.dll on Raven Shield) can cause mismatches when a no-CD crack is in use. The no-CD cracks often severely alter these files causing them to fail checks. If you are having this trouble when using a no-CD crack, you should reinstall the original game file and use an image program instead such as the Alcohol series or DaemonTools.

If the file is not a stock file then the check was probably in place to ensure that the file does not exist on the system. It is likely that the file in question is a cheat, or related to it. In most circumstances, if it's a cheat file and the server is streaming to us at PunksBusted then the GUID associated with the violation will be banned and placed on our Master Ban List (MBL).
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." Image

Veteran

Postby Ferocious » Fri Jun 22, 2007 0:31

thanks warren that explains everything :D

Return to Enemy Territory Talk