my idea about choosing maps to campaign

Old server topics and posts from 2010, Read only
Official Member

my idea about choosing maps to campaign

Postby DMG_Kowi » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:03

Now, there are 2 methods to change maps in current campaign:
-admins simply decide which map to add/remove
-people say in "map suggestions" thread, which maps they would like to play, and if many people support it or there are good reasons for one map to be added/removed it's done so

But suggestions in "map sugg~" thread are little bit chaotic. One person say this, another person say that and in the end we've got 10 map propositions and it's hard to decide, which one to choose, if any. When map is added/removed, it's usually because of few people's wish. The general conclusion is that such decisions are rarely an objective choice of the whole community or at least a majority.

My idea is to create a thread, where people could rate maps from current campaign (for example from 0 (trash map) to 5 (excellent map). The shape of posts in this thread could be like this (for current campaign ofc):

1. Ruins 2
2. Capuzzo 3
3. Venice 4
4. Tram Fight 3
5. Low Tram 2
6. V2 Factory 4
7. Bridges 3
8. Goldrush 5
9. ParisBastille 4
10. Intel center 3
11. Cathedral 1
12. Marakech Streets (night version) 5
13. DesertRats 2
14. Fata Morgana 3
15. BaseRace Desert 4

...just a list and no useless comments. U can copy it from "current campaign" thread or just copy from previous posts, changing notes.
After some time (week for example) or some amount of posts in this thread, an average of notes for each map would be counted. Maps with high average would be the ones to stay, and maps with low average would be the ones to be removed.

The list i've written may be called "starting list" for example. If someone have some suggestion, he can add a map to the list, note it and wait for others to note ( marking it's a suggestion, for example like this:

15.BaseRace 4
suggestions:
1.Transmitter 4

If some map is added/removed to/from campaign, the same will happen on the list.
And one, very important thing: a single person should rate each map once! So for example, if you make first typical post in this thread:

1. Ruins 2
15. BaseRace Desert 4

and then some additional maps appear as suggestions or straight in campaign list, in your next post u should rate ony the new ones:

map note

There is also possibility that you change your mind about some map, then u can make a post like this:

update:
map note

Ofc, there must be a person to manage all the data, who count averages, publish them frequently and so on and it could be me.

It's clear, that this system may have many disadvantages. It will surely demand data resets after long periods of time, cause after many posts, averages would be rather set and hard to change.

The exact rules and conditions would be to discuss and decide. For example what to do with removed maps when they reappear as suggestions? Reset their average and start noting it from the beginning or keep existing average and just update it?

What do you think? Is this idea good or not? And finally if it has any chance to carry into effect?

Spam Pro

Postby Vulture » Sat Jun 05, 2010 21:02

Its good idea imo

Server High Admin

Postby tomsen » Sat Jun 05, 2010 21:39

Indeed, the approach isn't a wrong idea. The problem could be that it gets a bit confusingly for the server owner after ten or more polls. I hope you can follow me :)

Analyzing of all the post isn't a nice assignment. It takes some time. Maybe it's possible to make automatically for excample like a poll with more then one voting choise. I'm sure that Warren can help us with this question.
It should be clear and expressive for all of us (ant not a spam thread), an important factor in my opinion.

Server High Admin

Postby PolygonWindow » Sat Jun 05, 2010 22:53

Imho its not all "useless comments" since ppl are also reporting problems with maps here (regarding lags, rulebreaks because of bad placed spawns,and so on ...). dunno if just counting posts for a map (a poll) is enough even if its easier..

Server Owner

Postby BOWDOWN » Sat Jun 05, 2010 23:31

I can get your point but i will be honest it will be fastly a big mess for me and even for players and imo it will just make it more complicated, that s why im not so motivated about the idea Those who realy want to help can do it via the actual section which is for me not so bad. Indeed maybe it don t match with the majority of PS1 players idea/choice but in the other hand a great majority don't show any interest about and don't participate to the discussion. You can check it by your own, there are pretty always same people who post in the section , not sure that a new section and your suggestion would change something on it :wink:.

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 0:11

tomsen:
I could write some C/C++ program, which would help in calculations, but still i will have to put all the data into it by myself. In poll you can only mark, which option you like best, without telling anything about others. Even if you could mark any number of opitions it's still 1-0 (like-don't like) rating, which is less accurate. Moreover, this poll also should be somehow updated with new options (maps).
Anyway I don't know much about setting up such polls, maybe they have bigger potential that i think :)

PolygonWindow:
I didn't say that comments about maps are "useless" in general. What was on my mind was that in this PARTICULAR thread, there would be no place for them. ;)

BOWDOWN:
You are right in everything u wrote. Yes, it could become mess and complicate things. But I have "mathematical" mind and some number data speaks to me :D :p
So thats from my idea is..

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sun Jun 06, 2010 0:25

hehe, if you would have a little bit of patience, 1.2.9 is coming soon :)

I have seen map voting on 1.2.8, I assume it will be on 1.2.9 too :D Then server owner can add a lot of maps, and people can vote on which map they want to play ^^

Buuuuut there is no guarantee 1.2.9 will be on, if not this imo is a good suggestion, I agree that map suggestions are not very useful the way they are...
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:14

In-game map voting after each map is good stuff.
On Counter-Strike server I usually play, there is map voting and people are satisfied.

Official Member

Postby Evil » Sun Jun 06, 2010 1:36

IceCreamy wrote:hehe, if you would have a little bit of patience, 1.2.9 is coming soon :)

I have seen map voting on 1.2.8, I assume it will be on 1.2.9 too :D Then server owner can add a lot of maps, and people can vote on which map they want to play ^^

Buuuuut there is no guarantee 1.2.9 will be on, if not this imo is a good suggestion, I agree that map suggestions are not very useful the way they are...

map voting is alrdy build in (standard vote system) so eighter nq jaymod or etpro. its here alrdy.

BUT: as its disable on most and i think every server of us,
would not make any sence since we have a own map rotation,
it will be a big mess like 10 ppl start voting each map to do a map like ultra times in main hand.

so my vote, let it be as it is now.

Official Member

Postby MiLady » Sun Jun 06, 2010 18:02

@ Evil: In Counter Strike it looks different. At the end of map there is a list with map and each player vote. Map wich has the most vote is loading. All happens automatic, so players only vote.

EDIT: Here is an example:

Spam God

Postby Monstrkill » Mon Jun 07, 2010 18:45

I think that to make such a change would not pay at all and would be unnecessary. In the "map" we are used to indicate our ideas and so on PS # 1 is a comprehensive server does not need to vote on the "map" which would stejnak not decided because it would tie a player when a "vote" either peace "F1" or " F2 'what they had to hand in my experience

Official Member

Postby Evil » Mon Jun 07, 2010 23:34

i know what he mean but there is no such option build in et nor. in noquarter milady ;)

the idea of behind is perhaps ok but its not posible. ;)

and the voting like cs i know since i play css :D

Return to PS Forum Archives - 2010