Automute

Old server topics and posts from 2010, Read only
Spam Kid

Automute

Postby MoB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 15:06

Ok, so in my opinion there really isn't any reason to keep this really frustrating automute up. Every time you say *beep* or whatever you get muted for 3 minutes.....

Cmon... Who doesn't say it in real life as well? Just count the times you say the F word in one day....
We are not little children, it's not the 19th century any more...

I know it probably won't change anything anyway but I thought I'd just enlighten you about my opinion.
Don't hate me for it!

Thanks
Grtz
MoB

Official Member

Re: Automute

Postby MiLady » Thu Aug 05, 2010 15:09

MoB wrote:Cmon... Who doesn't say it in real life as well? Just count the times you say the F word in one day....
We are not little children, it's not the 19th century any more...

Ofcourse... It's just culture ^^

Website Manager

Postby warren-the-ape » Thu Aug 05, 2010 15:27

MoB wrote:Just count the times you say the F word in one day....

Saying it, yes. But why do you need to type it?
Say or shout it out in front of your monitor, nobody cares, but don't annoy the rest of the server with it ;)

We are not little children

Unfortunately a lot of players, despite their age, still act as such..

Allowing all kinds of cuss words will create a very tense and unfriendly environment. You wouldn't want to hang around with a friend who shouts out 'f#ck' every 10 secs. would you?
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." Image

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Thu Aug 05, 2010 15:31

oh oh wanting to make a thread about this for a while

there is 1 word that needs to be taken off the profanity filter (gay)

i mean, its not even an insult

if you use 'gay' as an insult the only person you insult is yourself, because it makes you look like a f*****g retard

and who gets insulted by being called 'gay' anyway...

if someone calls me gay, i'll just say 'yeah, and i know you like it', there insult broken :D

also if you guys disagree with me then 'lesbian' should be added to the profanity filter for obvious reason...

my 2 (3,4,5) cents

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:11

Since 'gay' will be used in almost every situation as an insult it should stay in automute. Adding lesbian to automute would be nonsense, since it won't be used in an insultive way.
quoting deep:
henksmadje please read topic more carefully and other topics too where u reply, then u get the point and dont have to make stupid posts.

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:29

Smadje wrote:Since 'gay' will be used in almost every situation as an insult it should stay in automute. Adding lesbian to automute would be nonsense, since it won't be used in an insultive way.

if used in the wrong way or if someone gets offended by it (lol) then they can still call an admin who can deal with the situation

my point is that it isnt a word used for cursing (like the f word) but its just a regular word but it has been marginalized by a small group of ... idiots

also a suggestion: add a rule against evading the profanity filter (saying fack, nab, fu, biatch, etc...) if you are going to be strict smadje ;)

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:33

ye, sadly gay gets mostly used to insult ppl, even if it's a shame i guess we should keep it in the censore list :roll:
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I am very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Thu Aug 05, 2010 16:59

Dre_of_chaos wrote:also a suggestion: add a rule against evading the profanity filter (saying fack, nab, fu, biatch, etc...) if you are going to be strict smadje ;)

If people evade the automute in a friendly way, or between friends I got no problems with it ;) When someone evade's it to insult others he surely will be muted/punished.
quoting deep:
henksmadje please read topic more carefully and other topics too where u reply, then u get the point and dont have to make stupid posts.

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Thu Aug 05, 2010 17:21

if people evade it in a friendly way like your example then they send a wrong message to others on the server (who will then use it to insult others)

pm's are there for a reason, so is ts, vent, xfire, etc...

Spam Kid

Postby MoB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 18:52

Smadje wrote:If people evade the automute in a friendly way, or between friends I got no problems with it ;) When someone evade's it to insult others he surely will be muted/punished.

This is actually the reason why I started this topic. My friend (Cerberus) and I were playing on the server and we were in a fireteam together (just the two of us, no other people) so we could talk dutch. He was using the panzer and he told me: "Haha ik ben ier panzerpussy aant gaan!", which means that he told me that HE HIMSELF was a panzerpussy. He got muted for saying "pussy". I asked an admin to unmute him cause there was no offence intended at all, but the admin told me he shouldn't use bad words even in fireteam.
That really encouraged me to start this....

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Thu Aug 05, 2010 20:05

MoB wrote:
Smadje wrote:If people evade the automute in a friendly way, or between friends I got no problems with it ;) When someone evade's it to insult others he surely will be muted/punished.

This is actually the reason why I started this topic. My friend (Cerberus) and I were playing on the server and we were in a fireteam together (just the two of us, no other people) so we could talk dutch. He was using the panzer and he told me: "Haha ik ben ier panzerpussy aant gaan!", which means that he told me that HE HIMSELF was a panzerpussy. He got muted for saying "pussy". I asked an admin to unmute him cause there was no offence intended at all, but the admin told me he shouldn't use bad words even in fireteam.
That really encouraged me to start this....

yea i also have that sometimes. but you just have to live with it. you just say something what doesnt have a bad meaning at all and then you got muted. its annoying but nothing to do about it ;)
"Football is a simple game; 22 men chase a ball for 90 minutes and at the end, the Germans always win." - Gary Lineker

Official Member

Postby Death » Thu Aug 05, 2010 22:31

Well imo there is nothign wrong with the automute,

but as said in ft people sometimes use other languages.
Myself im actually only in fireteams with people that I like to play with ore with people that speak the same language as me.
So if i then joke around in fireteamchat every once in a while i get muted because i speak dutch fe.

like aarsch is also forbidden,
but in dutch we use that in the word Waarschijnlijk, wich means Probably.
so maybe its an idea (dont know if its possible) to not be automuted in fireteamchat.

If not possible please remove the word Aarsch from automute, ive almost never seen anyone use the word so imo its not nescecary.

<icy> seems a guy i know from seeing gave it to me on the mens toilet

Spam Kid

Postby MoB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:14

lazy-lion wrote: its annoying but nothing to do about it ;)

That's exactly the feeling I have here. The PS community is great, but (no offence) I always have the feeling that no one gives a crap about what the regular players think...

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:17

MoB wrote:

That's exactly the feeling I have here. The PS community is great, but (no offence) I always have the feeling that no one gives a crap about what the regular players think...

we do care, else we wouldn't even discuss about it :wink:

Spam Kid

Postby MoB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:18

warren-the-ape wrote:
Unfortunately a lot of players, despite their age, still act as such..

Allowing all kinds of cuss words will create a very tense and unfriendly environment. You wouldn't want to hang around with a friend who shouts out 'f#ck' every 10 secs. would you?

Well I used to be a high level admin in The Phreakz clan two years ago. We had a great server without automute and there were no problems with cursing or whatever. If someone crosses the line, he gets muted by an admin. Simple as that. Nobody will find it harmful if you say F*ck once in a while.

Spam Kid

Postby MoB » Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:18

icefrost wrote:
MoB wrote:

Discussing is one thing, but be honest, there probably won't change anything :)!

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Thu Aug 05, 2010 23:22

MoB wrote:
icefrost wrote:
MoB wrote:

Discussing is one thing, but be honest, there probably won't change anything :)!

of c regulars changed stuff in the past by giving us new ideas, thats the idea about a gaming community and it happens as well, maybe not in this case, but it happens :wink:

Spam Pro

Postby Diclonius » Fri Aug 06, 2010 15:03

I've read a bit in this thread and my personal conclusion is that I don't really understand what most people mean by the fact that automute keeps the bad words away from the server. It's avoidable very easy, in fact just by adding a space, and I've seen those exploiters do it and say the f / s words bypassing the automute and showing the word for everyone - however, in these situations, I have still not seen any administrator mute them or as a matter of fact anyone get really offended by it. I do agree that bad words need to be kept out of the server, but in my opinion it's better to have people with muting rights watching the chat and giving their veto when it goes overboard instead of doing it automatically.

Official Member

Postby Evil » Fri Aug 06, 2010 19:17

Saevio wrote:I've read a bit in this thread and my personal conclusion is that I don't really understand what most people mean by the fact that automute keeps the bad words away from the server. It's avoidable very easy, in fact just by adding a space, and I've seen those exploiters do it and say the f / s words bypassing the automute and showing the word for everyone

Well thats true most of the people are trying to avoid automute bypassing and use the space button or shortcuts.
we should always have that problem no matter if they try to avoid or not.

Saevio wrote: however, in these situations, I have still not seen any administrator mute them or as a matter of fact anyone get really offended

Well the problem is people and i understand people also as admins, you also need to look why they say that.
i mean i can got killed by fall off the roof as example and say some words but thats not talking to a person but by myself and yea well ok we or all should say that not hard and loud but still you have to look foward then only when you see such words coming on screen

Saevio wrote: I do agree that bad words need to be kept out of the server, but in my opinion it's better to have people with muting rights watching the chat and giving their veto when it goes overboard instead of doing it automatically.

well basicly what ive just said above here,

anyhow we are trying to keep them down and if a hard offending word is used we normaly mute but i want also to say that we as admin also not need to look for any tiny mistakes they make and sometimes the words are slipped betweens lips also in the main time we play and focus not 100% on chat ;)
but most iam agree but i dont think there is any issue atm ongoing that i rather would say lets change something :D

Spam Lord

Postby Xand3r » Fri Aug 06, 2010 22:39

The fck word and gay lesbian and shit doesn't make any sense
but words like cancer in dutch it's Kanker
that word shoulf have an automute for 5 min cuz of its too bad,..

Spam Kid

Postby MoB » Fri Aug 06, 2010 23:32

Straightforward my idea: No automute , manually !mute people who cross the line.

Official Member

Postby deep » Sat Aug 07, 2010 0:50

Xand3r wrote:The fck word and gay lesbian and shit doesn't make any sense

i dont get why kanker is an insult. u get insulted when some1 says some medical condition? how about hearth stroke.. offensive? :D
and btw cancer (in eng) doesn't automute. :oops:

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:21

Diamond wrote:
Xand3r wrote:The fck word and gay lesbian and shit doesn't make any sense

i dont get why kanker is an insult. u get insulted when some1 says some medical condition? how about hearth stroke.. offensive? :D
and btw cancer (in eng) doesn't automute. :oops:

It should not be in automute, I don't want to say that is a nice word. But you can use it in a normal way. Any guy who would use this as an insult to someone will get with no doubt a ban in our servers, in each case when it would depend on a dutch admin.

About automute in general. I guess it will stay as measure to punish people who use 'bad' words. I think it will especially show it's use when there are no admin online at PS#1`. Undeserved automute's will probably be unmuted by admins, when not you just should survive a 3m minute. Enabling automute will probably do more good as bad.
quoting deep:

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Sat Aug 07, 2010 19:44

i guess u can use a lot of the words which u can find on the automute list in a not insulting way as well. it's simply a endless discussion about every single word in the end.

Bronze Star

Postby GokuSan » Sat Aug 07, 2010 19:45

Is it possible to have the full list of the words that automute, please?

Next

Return to PS Forum Archives - 2010