Underrated and overrated weapons

Old server topics and posts from 2009, Read only
Spam Kid

Underrated and overrated weapons

Postby Vaakku » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:24

Hello! General discussion has lately drifted to be mostly about rule-breaking so I wanted to bring some variety to it. Also, I've personally found it interesting to observe the popularity and use of some weapons so I hope we can all share our views and get some new perspectives.

To put it simple: what weapon(s) do you consider underrated or overrated with the current settings of PS#1? Furthermore (as the discussion will easily come to this), are there some overpowered weapons or others that perform better as jokes than killing machines?

To open it up, I propose a candidate to the title of most underrated weapon: pistols. Both the akimbo version and a single gun (poor medics) are very competent and far too often neglected. Most main weapons outshine them but that's the whole point of pistols: they are auxiliary and secondary weapons. And very effective considering your other option is to load your main weapon or to throw knives. Often I find myself being the most accurate pistol user in many maps and that's not because I'd be so accurate but because some people don't use them at all or do so so rarely that they are not accustomed to them. Although I must admit I sometimes use pistols as much as my main weapon, which isn't always such a good thing to do.

Thinking of an overrated weapon is much harder. One can't really suggest MP40 or Thompson to be overrated even if they are used nearly excessively, because they are working well. The best candidate might be sniper rifles - which I, too, value too much. It has become the default weapon for me when playing covert ops: I hardly ever even consider other weapons even if the map is not that good for sniping. But I do admit that sniper rifles fail both at mid and close ranges at least when compared to nearly anything else.

On the other hand sniper rifles truely - and naturally - shine at long ranges. Which makes FG42 useless in anything else than close combat and in that sense overrated as a sniping weapon. Having a scope doesn't mean you have to use it. In addition I also feel that most heavy weapons are overrated in some way. Yes, they are very effective and deadly, but dealing damage is not all one should consider. It actually takes some experience to pay attention to the situation and especially to your teammates, else you risk dealing more damage to your own team and/or prevent anyone else using the weapon in question.

Feel free to discuss and disagree.
Quack!

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:56

Hm i noticed that alot of people say that riflenades are for noobs, yet most people cant properly play with it.
For example: a medic is running and shooting at you, most people shoot the nade at the medic, it misses or bounces of him and you die. Some other's people shoot the nade into the wall instead, it bounces of and hits the medic giving you an easy kill and some medpacks :)

For this reason i think that riflenades are very underrated.

My 2 cents :)

Spam Kid

Postby Keeks » Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:07

I agree that single pistols are underrated. Pretty accurate, fast reload, and nice dmg. On the other hand, I really hate akimbos, they have some nasty recoil and really slow reload.

Weapon I think that is underrated badly is rifle, at close combat. Engy or sniper one, doesnt matter. It can do severe damage in few shots.

On the other hand, rifle nades are overrated. They are deadly weapon in experienced hands, but ultimate tk weapon when beginner tries to use it. Same as heavy weapons like mortar, panza or flame. Need some skill to be feared with those. And I dont count spamming spawn exit with mortar as skill :)

Bronze Star

Postby GokuSan » Sun Sep 13, 2009 13:45

Dre_of_chaos wrote:Hm i noticed that alot of people say that riflenades are for noobs, yet most people cant properly play with it.
For example: a medic is running and shooting at you, most people shoot the nade at the medic, it misses or bounces of him and you die. Some other's people shoot the nade into the wall instead, it bounces of and hits the medic giving you an easy kill and some medpacks :)

For this reason i think that riflenades are very underrated.

My 2 cents :)

Icy says rifle is a nubstick, that it sucks or sumthing.. :(

@ keeks, rifle in close combat is awesome when you can shoot with it. Tbh I had problems too in the start, couldn't understand how people kill with rifle in close combat, but it's easy when you handle it right. :)

plus, yes,the akimbo has got a high recoil, but yeah.. Pull your mouse down when you're shooting (click click click click) not (cliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiick).

Official Member

Postby xochi » Sun Sep 13, 2009 14:20

i find that the flame trower is underrated if you hit a person it only does few of you must constantly aim at him and medics heal there selfs while you flame them. also the akimbo is good but is also underrated i find that it doesnt do much of the players healt while it is a close range thing.
Also the garand nice weapon but does not much of the healt of the outher player i played on outher server there was damage higher and it was much better. love rifle nades :D :D panzerfaust is set good mortar also mg42 also but i find that the covert ops from allies also must have the fg42 because that is much better than the stupid bar the bar is a slow gun and is not as good also the axis have a better gun instead of the bar with soldier.

Greetz xochi

Spam Pro

Postby Audio » Sun Sep 13, 2009 20:31

Shotgun! :D
yes yes, not the best at long range but if you're a good bullet dodger this weapon is a beast :) It also eats medics quite nicely..normaly two good hits sort them out.

Bar (allies)
This little beauty can be used as a standard machine gun but also sets up like an MG (prone - RMB) Although the clips are small (20 shots i think), when set up, accuracy and firing rate increase. Just constantly reload and this gun is pretty cool.

Official Member

Postby Pasglop » Sun Sep 13, 2009 23:23

I have 2 things to say : BAR is useless. Thompsons sound like a fart... :p

Veteran

Postby Spyhawk » Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:02

Vaakku > Disable autoreloading.

When in fight and if you run out of ammo... switch to your pistols. And if out of ammo again, switch to knife, while your opponent is reloading his weapons :P

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:03

yah, the most underrated thing is the throw-knife :) I love it, just when I shot all my ammo, made a multi-kill (or usually multi-miss xD) and just give that reloading opponent a knife between his ribs, when we both have near 15 hp :p
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Spam Pro

Postby Audio » Mon Sep 14, 2009 15:31

Head shots with knife is pretty painful and worth the effort. If you're lucky, the knife will bounce off a player and hit another. That would be an awesome double kill :D

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 14:52

rifle grenade - personally, i hate it, because many times i meet engs in small rooms/narrow corridors, and even if i shoot them in head they only need to pull the trigger and i'm dead, he's alive. moreover - lots of tk. normal grenades should be stronger

fg42 - that's a fact, scope is rarely used

and also i think headshots take too low damage

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Tue Sep 15, 2009 16:56

Underrated:
Scoped FG42: While it does less damage, lesser recoil makes it easier to deal damage more often. Furthermore its almost as accurate as sniper rifle on mid-range.
Mobile-MG: While they do not make wannabe venoms anymore, they still can easily take out rows of enemies if they are well-placed. Many people however decide to choose other HW.
Sniper on mid/low-range: While sniper is superior at long, it can also inflict tremendous damage on low and mid, with or without scope. The aiming needs some skill and luck since you cannot miss as often as with SMG and so people usually choose something else when they go battling.

Overrated:
Riflenades: While skilled nadist (lol) can kill sniper behind a roof from 2,000 meters, some use it everywhere they can. Yes it is powerful, more powerful than lazy moving panzer which can be shot down, but it still doesn't mean you should pick it. Show some rifle skills as sniper instead.
Mortar: First shot for calculation, second shot for trimming, third shot for camping. On some maps mortarist show nothing else than bad playingspirit: spamming mortar on spawnexit. While it isn't SK, it shows to me you are uncapable of improvising with mortar, especially if there's a camera. Same goes with artillery.
STG: STG is just an over-sized MP40 for me. It doesn't mean its worthless, but if you choose to be soldier with STG and MP40, it makes me think are you playing seriously. You should be able to take any opponent with 1 SMG and colt anywhere, so Id rather pick Field-ops instead since he can hand out ammo, if you are short on ammunition all the time.

my 2 cents

Spam Kid

Postby LyoLevi » Tue Sep 15, 2009 17:26

Underrated: Poison :( Funny when peeps run over and over and thay cant do nothing.
But not whit this settings :(
Btw i think no under or overrated weapons. If u can use it u can be a "fragman"
Or if u cant u can easily look like a newbie.

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Sep 15, 2009 17:58

GoldenBullet wrote:STG: STG is just an over-sized MP40 for me. It doesn't mean its worthless, but if you choose to be soldier with STG and MP40, it makes me think are you playing seriously. You should be able to take any opponent with 1 SMG and colt anywhere, so Id rather pick Field-ops instead since he can hand out ammo, if you are short on ammunition all the time.

the thing with STG is that it has bigger recoil than other smg's, thats the reason it sux so much.

Spam Kid

Postby Baek » Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:22

Well... In normal fun server bazooka/flame are the the most powerfull weapons ;) Anyway with settings on PS#1 rifle is the best for damage. So for me.... Many peoples are not happy when someone is killed by rifle and often someone tell "nub" but I think it's suck thing... I don't understand peoples who is telling that and then he choose a rifle.... Anyway with that setting it's hard to kill someone with panza or flame. You must have some skills for that. Ofc with rifle too , but lower skill ;) And now question What do you want ? Panza/flame most dangerous or just rifle ? I think I like more rifle than heavy weapons.

Stg/Bar uselles for me :x

Spam Kid

Postby LyoLevi » Wed Sep 16, 2009 15:49

I think On PS1 this problem is solved bc rifle is limited 3 per team.
Think over it how annoying if they not limit it.

Spam Pro

Postby Fefe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 16:39

LyoLevi wrote:I think On PS1 this problem is solved bc rifle is limited 3 per team.
Think over it how annoying if they not limit it.

sure its a problem cuz its like having 3 fast panzers on one team
also i think sniper is a great wepon for every range but also is sten (easy hs)
I think also that *fragman* award can be gained with most wepons had it wit sniper and mp/tompson and with rifel :twisted:

Return to PS Forum Archives - 2009