Qeustion about C/D: drives , for smart pc people.

Share your custom configs, homemade binds, ET related programs, etc.
Veteran

Qeustion about C/D: drives , for smart pc people.

Postby X-avier » Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:39

Hey all,

I have a question not for the normal guy i guess but for the real pc's tech people.. :)

I am at my uncle's home , he hasn't got so much knowledge about pc's , me neither i geuss but anyway here it goes,

He got 1 hard disk :

Cald MAXTOR 6L060J3,

he got C: disk drive and a D: ( and E and F but that are DvD stations )

he got on the C: drive only 9 GB and on his D: drive an total of 47 GB , but now his C: drive is total full , he want so split it both equal donnu if thats possible,

Or to make the D: disk the standart disk , i mean with this that every time you install something it goes automatic to the D: ( for instand an Game ( ET for example , hehe )) ..

Oke thanks in advance , if you don't understand the problem tell what you need to know and i edit this post.

Grtz Xavier and my uncle,

Event Committee

Postby FALBIK » Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:47

meybe reinstal system ..and give shrewd disk D (47GB)?

or change partition -------> PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0
Last edited by FALBIK on Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:54, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend."

Veteran

Postby X-avier » Fri Aug 24, 2007 19:52

FALBIK wrote:meybe reinstal system ..and give shrewd disk D (47GB)?

or change partition -------> PowerQuest PartitionMagic 8.0 http://www.powerquest.com

Could you explain it a bit better , like i said we arn't really smart with pc's.

Thanks in advance,

Grtz Xav

Event Committee

Postby FALBIK » Fri Aug 24, 2007 20:01

Probably, fairest program for management disk partition . It serves systems of files FAT16, FAT32, NTFS, HPFS, linux Ext2, Ext3, Netware. It allows to resize in flight (lot) " " partition, not destroying data
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend."

Server High Admin

Postby RapidHail » Fri Aug 24, 2007 20:11

Really it could destroy your data (or to destroy system partition). I do that a couple of time. Twice i was have to get my data back from damaged partition.
The best way is to buy/borrow 2nd harddrive and make the copy there and then you can reinstall system, resize your partition. The fun with resizing just in time can be really painful.
-=RapidHail=-: Do or do not... There is no try.
-|PS|- Server Monitor
eRepublik Citizen
Network Toolkit

Spam Kid

Postby AWCADDET » Tue Oct 30, 2007 0:58

I am not sure why you wish to go to all the hassle of partitioning it. If the C drive is full, just start installing stuff to the D drive

With install software you will be shown something like this (Which shows where it will install)

C:\ProgramFiles\WolfET

Just change the starting letter C to a D, so it will look like this

D:\ProgramFiles\WolfET

This will then install that application/Game to that drive. Just use it as you wish your C drive.

----------

If you do want to Split that drive into two, Then i highly recomend you stay away from such Partitioning programs out there, although they say they are easy to use, they are also easy to mess your PC up with.

Simply stick your windows CD/DVD into the drive, reboot, select Install windows. You can then select which drive to install it to, simply set up a partition to the size you want (Follow screen instructions carefully), Now exit the installation, as you don't actually want to install another windows to your PC

And your set, Just format them (NTFS is best for file compression) and you will now have 3 drives. :D

WARNING : ANY DATA ON THE DRIVE YOU PARTITION WILL BE LOST

Server High Admin

Postby RapidHail » Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:07

With splitting partitions in fly is easy in some acses:
1. Partitions are C: D: you can add E: partition but first defragment D drive and separate the free space from the end of partition.
2. Partitions C: D: you can add some space from C: to D: but first defragment both partitions.

In this 2 ways you can change partition sizes in fly. Problem is when you try to resize partition when the data is on the begin of partition in this case from D: to C:. It can destroy your data.
-=RapidHail=-: Do or do not... There is no try.
-|PS|- Server Monitor
eRepublik Citizen
Network Toolkit

Return to PS Techz0ne