How to eleminate lags on a Punkbuster-Server

Share your custom configs, homemade binds, ET related programs, etc.

I tried it and it...

works!
100%
does not work!
No votes

Total votes : 3
Veteran

How to eleminate lags on a Punkbuster-Server

Postby Stormcrow » Thu Aug 02, 2007 14:32

There are some things which might cause lags while playing ET. Most of them are background-processes which running on your PC, because the need CPU-Power and bandwith which the game needs to run smootly. Virus Scanners, Firewalls, ICQ/MSN/XFire, Male- and Spyware, even the ET-Minimizer are reducing the power of your computer.

128-256 mb RAM for Windows-Users is a bit to less for running the Game AND Windows, so think about upgrading to at least 512 mb RAM. It's not that expensive and maybe it helps to reduce the lags. Under Linux 256 mb are enough.

(Some guys here tried Windows AND Linux, and they told me they could play smoother with Linux)

The next step is to update your virus-scan. (Attention: Norton AntiVirus seems to conflict with PB!!) After hat let him scan the entire HDD. Also scan for Spyware, download Ad-Aware (or something else), let the HDD scan again, download hijackthis and check for malware.

Done? Now have a look if PB can be updated [pbweb is out-of-date, try this: http://www.evenbalance.com/index.php?page=pbsetup.php]

Now u have to close down every programm u have open (not the system-programms :-P ), the need ressources, and U need the ressources for ET. Close the progams in the systemtray and the hidden ones (use the task manager).

Now try to tweak the game itself:

/pb_sleep 500

Values between 0 and 500, try which fit's u the best

/com_maxfps 76

Just and example, but lock your FPS, settings on 125 or 333 e.g. but your gfx-card hardly brings 100 fps makes no sense (correct values are 43, 76, 125, 333)

/pb_system 1

Advice of Evenbalance.com

/com_hunkmegs 128

Give your game enough RAM , if i have more ram try a higher value

At least, tweak your network-settings:
http://www.prime-squadron.com/modules.p ... pic&t=2517

Helpfull suggestions?
Pls Foxxy, teach me how to "master-bait" :-P

Veteran

Postby Ferocious » Thu Aug 02, 2007 16:17

I'm not voting because i had that problem with my old pc. but i bought a new one.

All you need is more than 256 MB RAM there isn't really a way to stop it fully, i could stop it lagging a little bit by ending most programs but it didnt help much. listen to stormy thats good advice.

Veteran

Postby Mobius » Thu Aug 02, 2007 16:53

Ferocious wrote:All you need is more than 256 MB RAM

Not true i have 1024 mb ram and i still got huge lag spikes verry often.
1 lag spike when i join server with
2. is in the a little in the middle during gameplay

But that doesnt bother me i don't got annyproblems with bp at all.

Except my aimbot then ^^

Veteran

Postby Ferocious » Thu Aug 02, 2007 20:41

No mobius, the reason for you lags maybe with your net like mine, 256MB on ET cause's game intregrity the map and punkbuster load at the same time using alot of RAM up i experimented with it on my old pc connecting to pb servers and non pb. and alos in the middle during gameplay is normal, its impossible to be unlagged uless your in LAN.

Veteran

Postby Stormcrow » Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:40

Today I modfied PS3 a bit, together with Winner, and now there are much less INIT FAILURES, together with the points i listed im sure the lag and kickproblems can be reduced.
Pls Foxxy, teach me how to "master-bait" :-P

Server Owner

Postby stephan » Fri Aug 03, 2007 10:36

storm when you mean the pk3 file which we have created i deleted it from server because when thats on the server you cant exec your own autoexec only the autoexec in the pk3!
but maybe we can do it in the menu with the onload function!

Return to PS Techz0ne