Crash after map.

· PS FAQ · Search Forum · Any ET related problems? Post them here
Server High Admin

Crash after map.

Postby pompidom_23 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 23:05

So many of you already noticed, but sometimes after a map my ET crashes.

When a map is done, the first second when it shows the scoreboard, my ET crashes. (it freezes) When I press my windows button, it don't react so I need to press ctrl+alt+del. Now I noticed I see this: (image)
After that I need to restart my ET.

The weird thing is it don't happen after every map, it seems to be random. Also no specific map is the problem.

I didn't change any configs in ET nor in my PC. (tho my cats run over keyboard lol)

Another problem, what I already have for many months, is when I press escape, ET closes. (not like the first problem). Tough like the first problem it seems to happen randomly, 50percent chance. Bind for escape-button is only 'menu'(dont know the exact term :) ). This isn't the biggest problem, I just don't press 'escape' anymore hehe ;)

Somebody help :)
Attachments
block.png
block.png (1.55 MiB) Viewed 11262 times
Last edited by pompidom_23 on Mon Jun 15, 2020 23:52, edited 1 time in total.

Pompidom :)

teKno

Dont drink and drive, just smoke and fly !

Official Member

Re: Crash after map.

Postby tempo » Mon Jun 15, 2020 23:17

Sad to hear it :( you can try to delete (or just cut in other directory) some pk3 files (only map ones) from your etmain folder. Not sure about it but it cost nothing to give a try

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Mon Jun 15, 2020 23:38

tempo wrote:Sad to hear it :( you can try to delete (or just cut in other directory) some pk3 files (only map ones) from your etmain folder. Not sure about it but it cost nothing to give a try

Yeah well, I don't like to change and delete things, just because I really don't know anything about PC things haha and I'm afraid I'm gonna totally *beep* it up :) That's why I don't understand it, I didn't change anything :s
*Tempo receives some medpacks from Pompi*

teKno

Server High Admin

Postby BigOgr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 0:25

Show content of C:\Users\Ruben\Desktop\Jadu folder, might help.

;)

And putting aside jokes, I'm not an expert on Windows. Et on map change reinitialize itself (almost restart), reading all pk3 files. And error line from your log states that it cannot open specific map .pk3. My usual suspect is antivirus (*NOT* encouraging to turn it off), but this is blind guess without any proof. It might also be crappy old ET client with poor concurrent handling (also blind guess even with less proof).

Maybe really try ET Legacy (https://www.etlegacy.com/download - you need 32-bit client)? I haven't used it on Windows, but on Linux it does not touch vanilla ET if installed. But again, I haven't used it on Windows - so I can't be sure.

Official Member

Postby tempo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 0:55

Pompi :lol:
Anyway if you cut and paste maps in other folder you can just put them back if it doesnt work, and if you delete them, worst thing that can happens is that you have to redload the map you deleted when you connect to servers. Just saying, i had similar problem and this thing worked out, but maybe you are wiser and dont trust me :D
Let's also wait for other answers/suggestions.
Cheers

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:51

BigOgr wrote:Show content of C:\Users\Ruben\Desktop\Jadu folder, might help.

;)

And putting aside jokes, I'm not an expert on Windows. Et on map change reinitialize itself (almost restart), reading all pk3 files. And error line from your log states that it cannot open specific map .pk3. My usual suspect is antivirus (*NOT* encouraging to turn it off), but this is blind guess without any proof. It might also be crappy old ET client with poor concurrent handling (also blind guess even with less proof).

Maybe really try ET Legacy (https://www.etlegacy.com/download - you need 32-bit client)? I haven't used it on Windows, but on Linux it does not touch vanilla ET if installed. But again, I haven't used it on Windows - so I can't be sure.

Haha you can see that on the little pictogram that it's my secret folder? :p

Antivirus always turned off when I play ET.

Well not gonna download Etlegacy, just like I said, I don't like new stuff especially when it comes to ET haha.

Well let's try to delete those pk3 files. Just the files in nq folder he?

teKno

Server High Admin

Postby BigOgr » Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:39

I don't how deleting files might help (if the maps aren't corrupted). But if you want to try it, move only map files, to the other folder somewhere on your drive, don't delete it. And remember, or even better, write down the original location, in order to restore them in case something would go wrong.

And yes, I can deduct what is on the pictogram, work-related habit ;)

Official Member

Postby tempo » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:23

Yep, both from nq and etmain folder. I have a feeling that we'll not see pompi online anymore :rofl:. Joking, let me know if it works :hyper:

Official Member

Postby Polaris » Tue Jun 16, 2020 14:28

Would also recommend you to try etlegacy. Same advice holds here, just install it into a different directory and keep all of your old stuff. If you happen to dislike it or if it doesn't fix your problem, just remove it again. And it really doesn't change anything about the gameplay experience, just takes care of a lot of nuisances (e. g. Minimizing etc.), so the fear about changing to new stuff is really unjustified! Good luck!

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Tue Jun 16, 2020 16:01

tempo wrote:Yep, both from nq and etmain folder. I have a feeling that we'll not see pompi online anymore :rofl:. Joking, let me know if it works :hyper:
OK gonna try that and hopefully it works. Gonna try this evening.

Would also recommend you to try etlegacy. Same advice holds here, just install it into a different directory and keep all of your old stuff. If you happen to dislike it or if it doesn't fix your problem, just remove it again. And it really doesn't change anything about the gameplay experience, just takes care of a lot of nuisances (e. g. Minimizing etc.), so the fear about changing to new stuff is really unjustified! Good luck!
Well yeah, I have no doubt ETlegacy is good and well improve ET. It's just I'm really bad at these things haha. I'm scared to lose all my config, or my ET will not work at all. Also replacing all those stuff is hard for me lol :p

teKno

Website Manager

Postby warren-the-ape » Tue Jun 16, 2020 17:50

BigOgr wrote:I don't how deleting files might help (if the maps aren't corrupted)

From what I remember there has always been a cap in the amount of maps you can have in your /etmain folder at one time. So cleaning out (large) maps would be a good idea. Like Tempo said; just move them to a temporary folder on your desktop f.e.

How many files are there in total in your /etmain folder Pompi? Not counting the sub-folders.

tempo wrote:Yep, both from nq and etmain folder.

Just /etmain would be enough. /nq and other mod folders don't hold any maps. Although cleaning out old pk3s from custom skins, soundpacks and menu's could be a good idea. Most of the time these are small enough to quickly re-download from the server.

Cleaning the files in the mod folders that start with 'z_' is the safest option.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." Image

Official Member

Postby Xulux » Tue Jun 16, 2020 20:19

Hehe I tried delate maps once in past. It turned out I delated not only maps :/ I loose everything than, and had to redownload whole game. So Pompi you are not worst in computer stuff :P

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:54

warren-the-ape wrote:
BigOgr wrote:I don't how deleting files might help (if the maps aren't corrupted)

From what I remember there has always been a cap in the amount of maps you can have in your /etmain folder at one time. So cleaning out (large) maps would be a good idea. Like Tempo said; just move them to a temporary folder on your desktop f.e.

How many files are there in total in your /etmain folder Pompi? Not counting the sub-folders.

tempo wrote:Yep, both from nq and etmain folder.

Just /etmain would be enough. /nq and other mod folders don't hold any maps. Although cleaning out old pk3s from custom skins, soundpacks and menu's could be a good idea. Most of the time these are small enough to quickly re-download from the server.

Cleaning the files in the mod folders that start with 'z_' is the safest option.

There are 389 files in the etmain folder. Is that to much?

Well I'll be cleaning all the pk3 folders start with 'z_' in bothe etmain en nq folders, and will test this evening if the problem still exists.

Hehe I tried delate maps once in past. It turned out I delated not only maps :/ I loose everything than, and had to redownload whole game. So Pompi you are not worst in computer stuff :P
Shit, now I'm scared ! 8O

teKno

Official Member

Postby tempo » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:28

Uhm yeah, just to be sure :beware: : from etmain move maps (pk3 files) in a directory on your desktop , and from mod folders delete files that start with 'z_', as Warren suggested. :>

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 18:37

tempo wrote:Uhm yeah, just to be sure :beware: : from etmain move maps (pk3 files) in a directory on your desktop , and from mod folders delete files that start with 'z_', as Warren suggested. :>

Will do!

teKno

Website Manager

Postby warren-the-ape » Wed Jun 17, 2020 19:25

pompidom_23 wrote:There are 389 files in the etmain folder. Is that to much?

It's quite a bunch. It also depends on the size of the pk3's.

Well I'll be cleaning all the pk3 folders start with 'z_' in bothe etmain en nq folders, and will test this evening if the problem still exists.

Yeah /etmain most likely doesn't have any 'z_' files. Just move a bunch of them (ones you know you haven't played in a while) by looking at the filenames.

As long as you don't move/delete;
pak0.pk3
pak1.pk3
pak2.pk3
mp_bin.pk3

You should be good to go.
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." Image

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 19:50

warren-the-ape wrote:
pompidom_23 wrote:There are 389 files in the etmain folder. Is that to much?

It's quite a bunch. It also depends on the size of the pk3's.

Yeah /etmain most likely doesn't have any 'z_' files. Just move a bunch of them (ones you know you haven't played in a while) by looking at the filenames.

As long as you don't move/delete;
pak0.pk3
pak1.pk3
pak2.pk3
mp_bin.pk3

You should be good to go.

Thanks!

teKno

Return to ET Help Desk