[Football] 6 groups at Euro (starting Euro 2016)

You know, those games you play without a PC

6 groups in Euro 2016 - good or bad?

Good
17%
Bad
83%

Total votes : 6
Official Member

[Football] 6 groups at Euro (starting Euro 2016)

Postby DMG_Kowi » Sun Jun 10, 2012 0:11

As we know UEFA decided that starting from Euro 2016 in France, there would be 24 teams (6 groups) in final tournament. Of course all 53 federations that play uin UEFA competitions agreed. Reasons are obvious:
- money
- bigger chances to qualify to final tournament

But question is: if almost half of the teams that participate in qualifications (24 out of 53) gonna play in Euro, wouldn't it take away some of its prestige? (Of course it would.) I think main conseqences and arguments against these changes are:
- qualifications to Euro would be much less fierce, since it would be easier to advance to final tournament
- general football level of Euro is going to drop, since there would always be some, let's say, 'average' teams; groups would also be weaker on average and crap matches (from technical not visual point of view) are likely to happen
- 1/8 finals gonna be played, which means that in 4 out of 6 groups 3 teams gonna advance!!! No doubt, that it also means lower level, more calculated game

What do you think?

Spam Pro

Postby Lurtz » Sun Jun 10, 2012 0:28

Money and bigger chances to qualify like you pointed out.
World Cup 32 out of ~200, Euro from 2016 24 nations of 53? it will take away some of its prestige for sure. More matches more fun, though. I have really tough
decision on this one. In my honest opinion they should bring back match for 3rd
place (semi-finals loosers).

wikipedia wrote:Expanded format

The format of the final tournament will consist of six groups of four teams, followed by a round of 16, quarter-finals, semi-finals and final. The top two from each group would qualify in addition to the four best third-ranked sides, the same system as was applied in the World Cups from 1986 to 1994. This format would generate a total of 51-52 games, compared with 31 now, to be played over a period of 29-31 days. UEFA's general secretary Gianni Infantino said that the new format was "not ideal" and that UEFA was not sure of the detail of the format.

We will see whats gonna happen. EURO 2012 just started so much time left ... :P

Talented Spammer

Postby dmg_arg4el » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:52

Lurtz wrote:Money and bigger chances to qualify like you pointed out.
World Cup 32 out of ~200, Euro from 2016 24 nations of 53? it will take away some of its prestige for sure. More matches more fun, though. I have really tough
decision on this one. In my honest opinion they should bring back match for 3rd
place (semi-finals loosers).

+153464
Just wanted to say that :)

Return to The Sports Bar