Bring back the CAMPAIGN mode

Our 54 man No Quarter house by Bowdown, Sebbel & *egglaf? IP: 178.63.72.111:27960

Bring back the CAMPAIGN mode?

YES
45%
No
55%

Total votes : 11
Official Member

Bring back the CAMPAIGN mode

Postby empy » Tue May 12, 2015 22:31

Don't get me wrong. I like the voting system: but it has several disadvantages. One of them is the same map pack voting mentality.

Players tend to be afraid of voting for a less known map. As a consequence of such behaviour, the same “10” maps are played over and over again. Even though these maps are actually top notch, I (and I think others as well) tend to get a bit bored playing the same maps. Such behaviour might discourage players from playing regularly due to boredom.

Six maps have been recently introduced; I've only witnessed one of them being voted and played.

Therefore, I suggest that we switch back to campaign mode. Make a campaign of, say, 20 small maps and change it every 2 weeks.

What do you guys think?

Official Member

Re: Bring back the CAMPAIGN mode

Postby SpyCow » Wed May 13, 2015 14:52

You have a point. :P

It is true that the same 10 maps are played constantly.
However, one of the advantages of the poll system is that most often the map chosen is compatible with the amount of players currently playing,
which ensures (mostly) that people don't leave due to the sheer size of the map. :read:

Also, the map chosen is favoured by the majority of the players playing,
meaning far less actually disconnect due to the map not being what they want to play. :coffee:
Image :wth:

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Wed May 13, 2015 17:49

I am VERY happy with the voting system. I really don't like the campaign mode.

The thing is with campaign mode, when a map comes up that players don't like, they will all disconnect.

The reason why always the same maps being played, is because players just like the (old) known maps.

For me voting system must stay ;)

Pompidom :)

teKno

Dont drink and drive, just smoke and fly !

Official Member

Postby empy » Wed May 13, 2015 18:10

pompidom_23 wrote:The thing is with campaign mode, when a map comes up that players don't like, they will all disconnect.

That trivial problem can be solved by using /callvote :)

Official Member

Postby SpyCow » Wed May 13, 2015 18:19

empy wrote:
pompidom_23 wrote:The thing is with campaign mode, when a map comes up that players don't like, they will all disconnect.

Assuming they haven't already left. :P
Image :wth:

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Wed May 13, 2015 19:27

empy wrote:

Well some days ago some map was voted(ctf maat) and some players really didn't want to play it so I called a vote and it passed, so we played another map. BUT some other players started complaining that they wanted to play ctf maat and started to ruin other people gameplay and were pissed off.

Calling a poll for other map may actuelly only be used in rare situations, and not every time someone don't like the map ;-)

teKno

Official Member

Postby Yoschi » Wed May 13, 2015 20:34

voting system is good, but it should be fixed that a map could be played again after 10 maps not after one XD

Server High Admin

Postby Troyan » Wed May 13, 2015 22:17

pompidom_23 wrote:
Well some days ago some map was voted(ctf maat) and some players really didn't want to play it so I called a vote and it passed, so we played another map. BUT some other players started complaining that they wanted to play ctf maat and started to ruin other people gameplay and were pissed off.

Yes, that kind of situations not happen only to you Pompi. Its becouse map voting system is totaly different then calling a vote. When ppl voting map and for example we have 8-10 ppl on server, many times only 2 ppl is enough for picking map. Why? Mostly becouse half of ppl not voting at all, they discovering it after next map is loaded and whine and want to call a vote. And mostly this vote (endmap) is passed and its obvious.
Even when from 8 ppl, 6 ppl give his preferences about next map, 2 gives for same map (6 points) and rest are splited. Then they (thouse who were splited) want to call a vote for endmap and vote is mostly passed also.
But imo its problem for thouse who dont want to vote. Voting system is fair, if ppl want to play same maps over and over again, so be it... Changing back to campaign mode is kinda forcing ppl to play also maps they dont know\dont like, and i dont think its good idea.

I like more what Yosch said. A bit calibrate current voting system.

For me is no big differents campaign mode or voting system (maybe i like more voting system but rly no matter), so i wont give a vote above. Just wanted to put my 2 cents.

Cheers :beer: :beer:

Official Member

Postby RyukinOmega » Wed May 13, 2015 23:03

We could always have fewer maps to vote on after every map. Smaller maps should be fine also cant we have someone load a larger map manually when enough players around and vote pass? I remember we did that with minas a couple of times (ninja always on server pm him if no able admins around).

I think this would limit the split votes.
I eat cowz for a living.

Server High Admin

Postby pompidom_23 » Wed May 13, 2015 23:17

Maybe a bit extreme, but bringing back the campaign mode will be the officially end of PS.

I don't like changes when something goes good. I mean: Server is nice filled last time(in evening), even sometimes their are more than 30 people online. So why change when the server is doing well. Changing will only result in less people on server.

teKno

Server Owner

Postby Sebbel » Thu May 14, 2015 14:07

on all servers we had all systems running in the last years.
every style got its advantages and disadvantes.

on ps5 last setting was that there were around 20 maps in mappool, but only around 5-8 were able to vote because to force a kind of rotation style.
maybe that would be the compromise yoschi already said.

what i can say from my experience is that never ever everybody will be happy.... people will disconnect, when their fav map is not votable (like in rotation) or when people vote "the wrong" or if skipped after voting.

imo /callvote nextmap should be forbidden in voting cycle.
sometimes you lose - sometimes the others win

Server Owner

Postby Ninjadeer » Thu May 14, 2015 15:30

Campaign would be nice indeed, as it would be easier to add "new" or less known maps to the server. I'm not personally a fan of playing same 5 maps over and over again either.
But as it has been already said, this might have negative effect of players disconnecting when a less known map appears on rotation. I guess the best way to get new maps played more is to learn them yourself, and try to teach them to every possible person. This way others might not be that afraid of playing them later. :)

voting system is good, but it should be fixed that a map could be played again after 10 maps not after one XD
Yeah, annoying bug. Very hard to recreate also, so finding out the reason for this isn't easy, probably can't be fixed.

imo /callvote nextmap should be forbidden in voting cycle.
With Wolf Admin this shouldn't be such a problem. There should be possibility to disable certain votes after warm up/ X minutes.
Image thx for diamond :D

Spam Noob

Postby slight » Tue Jun 02, 2015 7:47

Sebbel wrote:imo /callvote nextmap should be forbidden in voting cycle.

hmm, yes. actually its btw useless when vote is passed but nobody with enough level is online to perform the cmd :D Its not auto done.

I like campaigns. remember the ones in old days where players startet at the beginning of with 0 XP. maybe its possible to do such kind
of event on a sunday or so? this could be force teamplay, too.

Return to PS #1: Discussion