[HOWTO] Enemy Territory on Linux

Old server topics and posts from 2006, Read only
Veteran

[HOWTO] Enemy Territory on Linux

Postby Stormcrow » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:02

Cause I am sick on leave i wanna try to explain how to install RTCW:Enemy Territory on Linux. Yes, there are people which do not have M$ Windows :-P

Step 1: Get the Game

Find the Linux-Executable. Some users have the problem that the browsers under Linux want to open a *.run-file directly in a browser-window, that is way you should download it via wget

Example:
Code: Select all
wget http://ftp.games.skynet.be/pub/wolfenstein/et-linux-2.60.x86.run

Step 2: Check your dependencies?

Is libgtk1.2 installed? Does the OpenGL work (3D-support)?
If not :arrow: fix it!

Step 3: Start installation

chmod u+x et-linux-2.60.x86.run

sudo ./et-linux-2.60.x86.run

Annotation: "sudo" is the command for Debian-based distributions, if you use another distri you might use another command, "su" e.g. at Suse Linux etc.

The game will be installed in the /usr/local/games folder per dafault, leave it there. To start the game you can use the button in your Gnome/KDE - Menue or you start it via terminal with "et".

If you want to expand/change your personal configurations, install mods manuell or add map-packs etc. :arrow:
/home/currentuser/.etwolf/

This folder have to be writeable and accessible, too!
sudo chown -R currentuser:yourgroup /home/currentuser/.etwolf/

Replace currentuser and yourgroup with your own username and group!

<==============================================>

Problems:

No sound?

Possibility 1:
Switch into root-mode
echo "et.x86 0 0 direct" > /proc/asound/card0/pcm0p/oss

If you want to have that permanent you have to write an init-script ;)

Possibility 2:
killall esd; et; esd

KDE don't uses ESD, try to kill artsd (not tested, i only use Gnome)

<==============================================>

Black screen after the intro?

This is an ATI problem, install the latest drivers or use
et seta r_ext_compiled_vertex_array 0
Or u write the seta in your autoexec.cfg

To be continued :-P Hope the other Linux users here will take part on this thread.

So long,
Michel
Pls Foxxy, teach me how to "master-bait" :-P

Veteran

Postby Millenium » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:26

Hmmm thx Stormcrow it will be very usefull for guys like me who didn't know anything on Linux :D
By the way wich linux system are you using plz is it debian ?
Do you think a noob like me could install debian ON windows without loose all my precious files ? ( I mean no need to format ? )

Mill

Veteran

Postby Stormcrow » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:43

At the moment I use Ubuntu 6.06 [http://www.ubuntu.com] on my Laptop, on my servers i usually use Debian [http://www.debian.org] cause Ubuntu is much more comfortable for personal use.

If you dont have anything to do with Linux in the past i would counsel you to try Ubuntu, because of its graphical install :ugly: its easy to use, ideal for beginners. Most things working out of the box and Ubuntu has a great community where u can find answers quickly.

Your Windows will not be deleted [paralell installation] and the bootloader lets u choose with OS do u want to start. But if you just want have a look try a Live-CD. Maybe Kubuntu, many beginners have the oppinion that KDE is easier than Gnome.

Btw, very soon Debian 4.0 will be released :happydays:
Pls Foxxy, teach me how to "master-bait" :-P

Veteran

Postby X-avier » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:29

Hmm nice and good info Storm i think ppl will enjoy this and really and i hope you helped ppl with it :) keep going on helping:D

Greetings Xavier ..

Server Owner

Postby BOWDOWN » Wed Dec 20, 2006 13:46

Millenium wrote:Hmmm thx Stormcrow it will be very usefull for guys like me who didn't know anything on Linux :D
Do you think a noob like me could install debian ON windows without loose all my precious files ? ( I mean no need to format ? )

Mill

For sure u can, but to be honest it will be damn hard, linux is realy a good system comparing to windows systems (more stable, less risky for viruses attacks , ...) but in the other hand u have to learn lot of think and spend lot of timo. I tried linux many years ago and unfortunatly had to come back in windows, it was hard to find softwares for linuw when i had aproblem i was damn alone cuz any friends knows linux ... i didn t tried since this preiode maybe thinks r changed now but for sure u have to be damn motvated and have lot of time to master linux.

Website Manager

Postby warren-the-ape » Wed Dec 20, 2006 14:07

Topic Move > Techz0ne
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." Image

Server High Admin

Postby lis » Wed Dec 20, 2006 14:47

Millenium wrote:Hmmm thx Stormcrow it will be very usefull for guys like me who didn't know anything on Linux :D

Mill

hey milly :)

i can only second what stormcrow has already said. go ubuntu (which is in fact an easier-to-use debian derivative). download a live-cd and try it out. you can install it from that. the dual-boot setup is well documented online.

linux has revolutionized my pc experience. my pc hasn't crashed once in the past 12 months, and yes, i seem to get higher ET framerates in ubuntu than on winxp.

if i can do it, you can do it :D

Spam Kid

Postby L-JAY » Wed Dec 27, 2006 19:30

I use linux fedora core 6, suits me fine.

Problem with ubuntu install cd, if you have a low memory, it will be a pain installing it because the first thing it will do is boot a live cd.

Return to PS Forum Archives - 2006