I need your help here please.

Chat & Discussion about the general, everyday stuff
Spam Noob

I need your help here please.

Postby Frandollow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:36

Hey guys,

Sorry for my off topic. I am toally new internet user also new to this forum. I have heard about VPN from one of my friend. And now interested to use it for myself. But don't have much knowledge what should I use.

Do you know about this VPN? And what will be better and easier for me?

Will wait for your further response.

Server High Admin

Re: I need your help here please.

Postby GoldenBullet » Tue Nov 17, 2015 16:01

I am no expert on this, but VPN stands for Virtual Personal Network. In a nutshell, you connect a network with another PC/network over the internet, creating seamlessly private new network. It can be handy if you want to bypass NAT (Network Address Translation), which some service providers include (by force) and which makes some older games unable to connect with each other, say AoE2. However it seems to be used mostly by organisations instead of normal consumers. VPN is usually created using a third-party service, which costs money or has great limitations if used for free.

All that being said I don't see a reason why you should use VPN. Out of curiosity, for what purpose did you want to use VPN for?

Spam Noob

Postby Frandollow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 17:10

Okey guys thank a lot for your interest to my post here. I have heard that vpn helps to hide identity, increase speed and security. So I want to use this. And got few sites as well which I want to share. The following one has caught my attention out of all http://www.vpncomparison.org/provider/expressvpn.

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Wed Nov 18, 2015 19:47

So you'd like to use it as proxy? Like using Tor?

While I agree about the hides identity/increases security (unless you deliberately download viruses), I am a little sceptical about the increased speeds.

If your Internet Service Provider (ISP) is limiting certain kind of traffic (say streaming youtube/netflix/whatever), using VPN can bypass this since the ISP no longer knows what data you are downloading. However ISP should still be able to restrict the real maximum speed of your internet. There was a good post on the provided link about how the speed increase might work. http://www.howardforums.com/showthread. ... connection

Server High Admin

Postby BigOgr » Sun Nov 22, 2015 23:20

If you are know what are you doing, buy some average VPS and setup VPN on your own (IPSec or OpenVPN, whatever are your needs).

If not, find suitable VPN provider in a country you like, read opinions about it and buy it.

Please have in mind that VPN != instant anonymity. You still are traceable with ease. I don't know about boost in speed, it's rather not going to happen imho (except for some specific cases). And I don't understand the security thing either, could you explain a little bit what do you have in mind?

Spam Kid

Postby mariad » Wed Mar 22, 2017 15:44

I am using Astrill vpn after being frustrated using buffered and IP vanish. Works great for me.

Spam Kid

Postby mariad » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:49

Well, I got myself a new VPN, wanted to access the Netflix American Library on my trip to Canada and got to know Netflix is blocking VPN services. Got some recommendations as Netflix VPN and got an ExpressVPN subscription. It is working great. Just got connected to the Washington server and bang it did connect and got me access to the USA library. Also, it does not hamper my internet speeds on the connection. So far it is working great for me. Great at Unblocking stuff.

Official Member

Postby empy » Fri Oct 23, 2020 20:57

Bots are getting smarter

Official Member

Postby Bumble » Sat Oct 24, 2020 10:43

Its a evolution these days xD

Return to General Discussion