Network location

Chat & Discussion about the general, everyday stuff
Official Member

Network location

Postby deep » Mon Apr 04, 2011 23:43

Not ET related:

I have a little prob. I want to connect to a private network, but all i got is the address (\\server\shared folder) and user/pass.

From windows XP it's possible to connect via "My network places" while needing only the address. But I'm using windows 7 - and have clue.

Already tried adding a network location and mapping a drive which didn't work (couldn't connect).

The server must be fine as i know a person who can connect there easily from win XP.

any ideas?

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:22

hmm i tried to connect with windows 7 and windows vista and also had problems. Now i have lan but both computer have win 7 it could be hard to connect old win xp and newest win 7:) you should ask uncle Google or visit this site www.google.com :)

Server High Admin

Postby RapidHail » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:42

Explain it a bit more. You can't connect from Win7 to Win7? 7 -> XP? XP -> 7? Both computers can work in 2 different workgroups but it shouldn't be a big problem.

Just write into explorator address bar: \\server\ or \\server\shared folder

If doesn't work, it is possible that windows firewall doesn't allow to connect to it.
-=RapidHail=-: Do or do not... There is no try.
-|PS|- Server Monitor
eRepublik Citizen
Network Toolkit

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Apr 05, 2011 16:11

Well the main server of the network is running on a mac.

I don't need a LAN connection or anything like that. I want to connect to my schools network from home.

didn't work from explorer, how to check this from firewall?

edit:

windows network diagnostics wrote:"The remote computer isn't responding to connection on port 445, possibly due to firewall or security policy settings, because it might be temporarily unavailable. Windows couldn't find any problems with the firewall on your computer."

but i know for a fact that it is possible to connect there from win XP.

Server High Admin

Postby RapidHail » Tue Apr 05, 2011 17:01

The problem is: how do they share the data? Which one protocol? Do they share WAN or LAN only? 'Simple sharing' (Samba server) isn't possible to access from internet so easy. I bet it is a VPN network, then You have to connect to VPN. Connecting to VPN is depepnding on which one server they use.
-|PS|- Server Monitor
eRepublik Citizen
Network Toolkit

Spam Pro

Postby eLemenT » Tue Apr 05, 2011 20:32

I don't need a LAN connection or anything like that. I want to connect to my schools network from home.

I bet he is tryin' to hack school network system.
Don't help him he is criminal!

:hyper:

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Apr 05, 2011 21:46

RapidHail wrote:The problem is: how do they share the data? Which one protocol? Do they share WAN or LAN only? 'Simple sharing' (Samba server) isn't possible to access from internet so easy. I bet it is a VPN network, then You have to connect to VPN. Connecting to VPN is depepnding on which one server they use.

Couldn't connect to VPN's address. And afaik it's not 'Simple file sharing'. I need to log in with my own user and pass to access so called public folders but also my own private folders, which are located in the servers drive. And all i should need (at least on winXP) is the network address.

But still it could be something from my side that needs to be enabled/disabled - only what? :roll:

thx for replies btw.

Server High Admin

Postby RapidHail » Tue Apr 05, 2011 21:55

If Microsoft VPN then You need to create new connection -> VPN. If not, you need VPN client where you put address / user and pass. After all You login with your own account on the domain (most probably). all You need is to get their VPN server address.
-|PS|- Server Monitor
eRepublik Citizen
Network Toolkit

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Apr 05, 2011 23:12

hmm, but I think they wouldn't give such authority for a student anyway.. :D It's probably not VPN.

Server High Admin

Postby RapidHail » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:39

Diamond wrote:hmm, but I think they wouldn't give such authority for a student anyway.. :D It's probably not VPN.

Well, not a big deal. Cause you have same access rights as when login from local station. VPN is just security access (over SSL or IPsec) to private/local network from internet. End of the topic anyway? ;-)
-|PS|- Server Monitor
eRepublik Citizen
Network Toolkit

Return to General Discussion