Uneven/unbalanced teams issue

Old server topics and posts from 2011, Read only
Spam Kid

Postby RioAlex » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:33

You could just add !put "name" "team" command so it will be easier

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:44

RioAlex wrote:You could just add !put "name" "team" command so it will be easier

That's what have been used for all time...

Spam Kid

Postby RioAlex » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52

Ok but i personaly think thats better option or you can use shuffle

Spam Kid

Postby Vaakku » Mon Oct 31, 2011 13:02

Indeed a great tool to ease the job.

I hope I'm not too bold to bring up the following. As it has been, team balance is most screwed up when no members are present not only for the lack of !putteam but also because some players seem to have the weird idea that rules are only to be obeyed when someone who can enforce them is present. !putteam is rightfully not given to non-members because the large risk of abuse. However if I understand correctly !teams only does anything if teams are uneven and even then it is randomised. Thus the only real downside ever is the already mentioned slim chance to lose a carried objective.

Therefore, could the possibility of non-member use for this command be considered? As far as I see, there is a very limited chance to any abuse but the gains in team balance would be significant.
Quack!

Official Member

Postby MiLady » Mon Oct 31, 2011 13:22

RioAlex wrote:Ok but i personaly think thats better option or you can use shuffle

We don't shuffle in the middle of map. It would make too big mess. !teams command is just awesome. Players usually whine "why you putted me?!" etc. Now we all have the same chances.

Anyway, one genius command doesn't solve the problem. Member will type !teams and everybody are happy - not this way. We're obliged to even the teams. This not only applies to members, but especially to players who can see his future in the community. That's my two cents :)
-=RapidHail=-: If something is logically for You, doesn't mean it's logical for rest.

Official Member

Postby xochi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 13:25

Finaly I dont have to chance teams all the F*** time :p.
That will make it much easier for everybody.

Greetz xochi

Spam Kid

Postby Jogy » Mon Oct 31, 2011 14:18

There is nothing wrong, if it is obj holder who is switched. I have seen so many times when map is ruined when defending team is 2 or 3 ppl shorthanded and attackers just do obj and ignore requests to even teams.

Actually it would be better to switch obj holder as punishment for not to even teams. :twisted:

Veteran

Postby mem » Mon Oct 31, 2011 15:50

Vaakku wrote:Therefore, could the possibility of non-member use for this command be considered? As far as I see, there is a very limited chance to any abuse but the gains in team balance would be significant.

so far, the script is kinda in "beta test" at ps1. sure i tested it in all situations that i could think of and i could put up with only my virtual test server, one pc and one laptop, but as bowy said elsewhere, testing something in particular conditions doesn't put in the light all situations that could happens in real environment

also, as milady said, !teams command doesn't solve the associated problem : players HAVE to care about evening the teams by themselves, and using the command shouldn't be the first thing to do, asking other team to balance is. so before considering lowering the command level, we have to be sure that players will handle it in the good way (haven't lost all hope in mankind yet ^^)

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Mon Oct 31, 2011 16:37

It would be nice if when there is no |PS| on the server, the player with highest adminlevel gets access to some commands. Though I suppose it's hard to implement.

Server Owner

Postby egglaf » Mon Oct 31, 2011 17:11

DMG_Kowi wrote:It would be nice if when there is no |PS| on the server, the player with highest adminlevel gets access to some commands. Though I suppose it's hard to implement.

A possibility could be that it can be used by a specific vote, don't know if it is desirable but it is an option imo.

Server Owner

Postby BOWDOWN » Mon Oct 31, 2011 19:01

DMG_Kowi wrote:
SturmGonzo wrote:well.. spree/obj lost if picked up randomly.. just have sence of fairness and even the teams by urself without any cmd is the best way to avoid it :roll: :roll:

in recent months I can say that I switch teams like madman (to even them ofc)

Good boy :)

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Mon Oct 31, 2011 22:56

Was there already something like a timer for an autoput when teams are not even for let's say 1 minute? For when there are no members online.

Edit: Offtopic: does the autospec when afk still work?
quoting deep:
henksmadje please read topic more carefully and other topics too where u reply, then u get the point and dont have to make stupid posts.

Veteran

Postby mem » Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:07

Smadje wrote:Was there already something like a timer for an autoput when teams are not even for let's say 1 minute? For when there are no members online

well, there's an et_RunFrame(levelTime) function that could be used for that, will consider it but carefully since calling it with a lot of [and/or] huge stuff would eat cpu time, and i haven't thought this script far enough to know now if future commands will need it more than !teams

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Tue Nov 01, 2011 13:20

Ok :) clear. Though I think if it's possible and it would be no problem to run it, it would be a good addition.
quoting deep:
henksmadje please read topic more carefully and other topics too where u reply, then u get the point and dont have to make stupid posts.

Server High Admin

Postby blazing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 16:35

well i just found an error :>
the teams where 11 vs 6 so i did !teams

there where 4 guys putted to the other team so it was 7 vs 10 at that point
i guess that isnt suppose to be right:>

thanks diamond:)

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 16:45

blazing wrote:well i just found an error :>
the teams where 11 vs 6 so i did !teams

there where 4 guys putted to the other team so it was 7 vs 10 at that point
i guess that isnt suppose to be right:>

Can you provide a demo of that so the situation can be analyzed? Else it's kinda pointless if the script makers dont know the conditions in which this bug manifests :p

Server High Admin

Postby blazing » Tue Nov 01, 2011 16:56

well i dont make a demo of every map i play ^^
so i dont have a demo about it,
screenshot i forgot at that moment :oops:

it was on map preatoria2

thanks diamond:)

Veteran

Postby mem » Tue Nov 01, 2011 17:08

can't be map related

will look for that right now, new version is almost ready so i'll try to add a fix asap

btw, that's exactly the kind of situations that i can't test with only two clients ^^

thx for reporting fomok blaz :P

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Tue Nov 01, 2011 17:31

cant it be tested with bots? or do they behave differently (code-wise)

Veteran

Postby mem » Tue Nov 01, 2011 18:12

Dre_of_chaos wrote:cant it be tested with bots? or do they behave differently (code-wise)

should work with bots, i guess... only for !teams command, and since there's a lot more than this one hided in the script i didn't bothered myself with etbots installation ^^

anyway, !teams issue should be fixed in the new script version, just sent a mp to bow, now we have to wait for him :)

Veteran

Postby mem » Tue Nov 01, 2011 23:34

sorry for double post, but this will interest some of you, so...

released v.0.4 of the script this afternoon with some new stuff and the bug fix, but just released and tested v.0.5 few minutes ago with two new features :

-protection for new players (suggested by beti) :
by default (owners can change settings), lvl 0 players with less than 6.000 XP are protected from being switched by !teams command

-protection for alive players (suggested by egg) :
only dead players could now be picked to even the teams, fixing the issues with running sprees and holding objective (on by default, owners can set off :twisted:)

ps1 is still running v.0.3, so let's wait that bow get some free time before crying it's not working please :)
just type /lua_status in console if you wanna check witch version of the script is online
Last edited by mem on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:46, edited 1 time in total.

Server Owner

Postby BOWDOWN » Wed Nov 02, 2011 0:18

The upgrade is done, the 0.5 version is now running on PS1.

Thx mem

Veteran

Postby Viduus » Wed Nov 02, 2011 0:25

Very cool and helpfull!

Where have you been all these years! :wink:

Previous

Return to PS Forum Archives - 2011