The mysterious man, Viduus

From our Editorial Staff
Website Admin

Postby Prime-Squadron » Sat Feb 13, 2010 15:55

Interview By: -|PS|- CiNek

Last time you can often meet him on ps#5, but to be honest no one really knows much about him.
That's why I decided to meet with him and ask him some interesting things.

· Hey Vid! First of all I'm really glad that you agree to take part in this interview.

Always willing to help out he :wink:

· So let’s start with something private. Please tell us a little bit about yourself.

My real name is Arjen. And I am twice as old as some of the youngsters here. :wink: I studied Organizational Psychology at the University of Utrecht and am working now as Production Controller at a large national company. I am working with programs like Oracle and Excel to f.e. give advice about the organisation's policies and direction it needs to take.

· Well and how about your in game name? Many new players can probably link you to the nick -|PS|- Vid, but the majority knows you as Viduus.
What does this nick really mean?

In Roman mythology, Viduus ("divider") was the god who separated the soul and the body after death.

· Hmm that sounds really serious, almost like you when I see you on the servers or forum.
Does it mean that you treat your "job" as a HA seriously as well?

Yes, I try to treat my job as HA seriously. Some say to me I take it to seriously and should have more fun. :P But the HA's job isn’t always fun. Sometimes there is a need for boring bureaucracy work, hard decisions and tough conversation.
I will almost only post something when I feel the need to or when it is my ‘job’ as HA in member- or adminforum (or when I am bored at work.) You can consider me as an interested reader; I am there although you will not hear from me a lot.
For me the most fun is on the servers.

· As you can see it's good to have at least one who is serious in this bunch of HA's, but let’s get back to you Viduus. Please help me to reveal your way to the top of the Prime Squadron community.
Tell us when was your first time playing ET?

A housemate showed me the game and I was addicted right away. I still don’t know if I appreciate him showing it to me. ET took a big chunk of my time. In all those hours playing ET I could have learned to play poker brilliantly, speak a different language or could have written a book. I always had a love – hate relation with ET. When I was still a student I never could play just an hour a day. It was six hours or nothing, if you know what I mean. But now with a job, girlfriend and more important stuff in real life I can find the balance between them better.

· Did you start playing ET straight on PS servers?

Nope, like we all did, I think, I spend my early days cruising a lot of servers. And finally ended at Bunker 2. I liked the atmosphere there. I almost became a Bunker member (needed one level). But then I heard some Bunker members left and wanted to start their own community. The idea of that attracted me and I wanted to help out so I started playing there and registered at the forum the day it was made.

· It seems that you are pretty long here, but do you remember when you became PS member and what was this feeling?

In the beginning of PS you were given levels fast. Szeryf, Joky and Borewicz knew me and I became a member rather quick. That was something like 4 years ago but I remember feeling proud and I was nervous when all screamed where is your tag!? 8O

· Have you felt the same when you got promoted to HA, all in all it's far more responsibility?

I was invited by Daemon but was made HA on servers by Joky. I was HA way to early. I did not know good enough what to do really but I learned it by trial and error (banning Funner for aimbot). But I still make mistakes (even HA's are human) like last week I reset the xp for the wrong player. PS community has evolved in this matter. When you now become a HA we are sure you can handle most situations. There are also guidelines in MF and AF. And there are experienced admins who are always willing to help you.

· What gives you the most joy when you're on the server?

I am not the best fragger and I'm not in to scripting (only changed some basic stuff) and I have a very old computer (new work laptop but don’t want to play games on that) but for me the objective teamwork is the main thing. I love to push and try with some mates until we have done what we need to. :lol:

· If you like teamwork so much do you have any others games that you like to play except ET. Any other favourite titles?

ET is the one and only love for me. But I enjoy playing poker on the net too.

· What do you like to do in your free time when you're not playing ET?

I love to go clubbing with friends and dance until the sun comes up. But I like playing chess, pool or poker in the pub with some friends too. Reading or watching a movie are things I enjoy also.

· Let’s talk a bit about our second home, our servers.
What aspect of our community do you like the most?

Hmm, hard to describe that because it is not one aspect.
Somewhere in Berlin there is a very big cold room with a lot of little boxes. In one of those boxes a little world called PS exits. Many people go to that little box (like that locker in MIB; All Hail ET) to enjoy themselves and escape from the real world for some time. We as HA, members but also of course our regulars are trying to make the best little world. Keeping bad people out, punishing rule breakers, rewarding good people, chatting en fragging. I enjoy being a part of that world.
And when I see the sad post from Neji and the many reactions he gets I understand the importance for some people of that little world we created.

· And what irritates you the most on the servers?

I have my moments. Most moment are stuff even a HA can't do anything about. Like I get annoyed with players who not think while playing. And for example lay all mines near the truck at the first minute in Goldrush. I also get annoyed with players who will argue about and question every fart I take; "why did you mute him for 500 seconds? I think 120 seconds would've been enough" … sigh. Small irritations are players who change from a losing team to a winning team or specs screaming "teams" when it’s 8 vs. 9 so they can join the 9. :evil:
But don’t get me wrong; I am not irritated very much on the servers. But that is because I have the means to act and do something about most things fast. I can understand that when you don’t have the levels to act, you feel helpless and frustrated. But try not to be. It is just a little world in a locker.

· Do you think that PS is going in right direction or maybe you would like to change something?

PS community is stable for a longer while now. Of course servers come and go. Server owners come and go. ET is old and I can’t predict how long it will stay popular. We have to be aware of that and adjust accordingly, maybe even Hail some other game in the future.

In the more direct future; HA’s are getting caught up with the real world too and a lot of members are inactive. The PS world needs new inhabitants otherwise it will slowly decline.

In the past I believe we made it too easy to become a PS member, that’s why there are so many inactive on the memberlist. But nowadays I believe it is too hard to become a member. It has always been difficult to find the golden middle way in that.

· Please tell us what are your plans for the future, in life and also in game?

In game I will just be around like I was the last few years; helping out whenever I can. In life I'll maybe move in with my girlfriend for a while after I sold my house, and then we will see what happens.

OK, now some short questions at the end:

What is your favourite food?
You can wake me up in the middle of the night for a good hamburger.

What is your favourite color?
h

Hmm that sounds like some riddle, but with Viduus it was just a matter of time when something like this pop-up. For those who are interested I will just say, this color hides under the letter H when you change colors in console.

Best film you have ever watched?
Heat. I know… I know … but I like the comradeship between them and the professionalism with which they do their job. And the shooting scene after the bank robbery gives me goose bumps.
Furthermore I like Platoon, Pulp Fiction, Scarface, Lost in Translation, Sin City, Léon, etc.

Best book you have ever read?
Shogun: a novel of Japan. Written by James Clavell.

Favourite map and gun in ET?
Since I have low fps I like smaller maps playing something like 10 vs. 10. I don’t really have a favourite gun. I just select the class that is needed the most to complete the objective. And select the gun best suited for that map but I really prefer Thompson above the MP40. The MP40 sounds to high and it feels like it shoots small needles not bullets. 8O

What music do you prefer to listen?
I listen to all kinds of club dance music; like trance. I like for example Joris Voorn, Skwerl or Claude Vonstroke but also Paul van Dyk can make my head spin.

From my side I would like to thank Viduus for this loooong (it was only pleasure vid :wink: ) and really nice interview, also I would like to thank Daghel for motivating me.

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:14

Great interview Cinek, I really liked to read it :D!
nice that also others take the initiative to make an interview

also nice answers from you Viduus :D.

davies
:)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Veteran

Postby Scuba_Steve » Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:17

Good interview, answers are pretty long and very interesting to read. Keep up the good work imo ^^

Server High Admin

Postby Betinho » Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:42

Very nice interview, we miss you a bit in ps1 Viduus :) .

Server High Admin

Postby Daghel » Sat Feb 13, 2010 16:50

Profesinally made interview :good:
Good job Cinek.
But i always knew that Viduus is boring guy... :roll:
:P

also I would like to thank Daghel for motivating me.

We honour only credit cards.
Chaos is the only true answer.

Veteran

Postby Ajit » Sat Feb 13, 2010 17:01

Talented Spammer

Postby Mitja » Sat Feb 13, 2010 17:30

Very good interview :)

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Sat Feb 13, 2010 17:31

Nice interview :)
And banning Funner like that: Tut tut :P

Server High Admin

Postby lis » Sat Feb 13, 2010 18:36

well done.

Spam God

Postby flow » Sat Feb 13, 2010 18:53

very well done from both of you :)

Great questions cinek & very interesting answers viduus :)

i have known viduus long time even thought we havent talked lot but i have got image that viduus is boring guy :D
but by this interview he looks more interesting than i thought ^^

offtopic: hmm now as im back playing in PS servers, i could start making interviews again too :)

and another offtopic: gratz cinek for getting as HA ^^ :D
[ǝʌɐS-ԀX] 2# uoɹpɐnbS ǝɯ!ɹԀ Ⅎo uǝℲ

Veteran

Postby Plastic_Jesus » Sat Feb 13, 2010 19:20

The mystery of Viduus. Really nice interview. It was about a time. ^^

-*S
S.S.Atrocity wrote:Im pretty sure Saukko will have pages worth of bugs found before anyone knows about the release...lol

Server High Admin

Postby FlowerPower » Sat Feb 13, 2010 19:36

Nice Viduuz, I remember you that we have to do some poker match :P (and win all Bow money :mrgreen: )

+1 for banning Funner, never a mistake :loller: :rofl:

Bronze Star

Postby GokuSan » Sat Feb 13, 2010 20:30

Hahaha! Funner aimbot :loller: :rofl:

Nice interview Cinek, interesting answers Viduus. :D

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sat Feb 13, 2010 20:50

Wow, even though answers are pretty long I enjoyed reading it all :)

Good interview!

!beer Cinek and Viduus
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Official Member

Postby deep » Sat Feb 13, 2010 21:18

moar! :lol:

Official Member

Postby Ammz » Sat Feb 13, 2010 21:36

Ho ho ho! Viduus, we all make mistakes so true! But you can't call banning funner a mistake :P Haha.
A wonderful, easy to read and enjoyable interview.
Good job! :good:
You say: "Great Shot!"
I say: "aimbot"
-|PS|-Ammz

Event Committee

Postby FALBIK » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:05

Viduus show better side :P

good to read :)
"Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow; Don't walk behind me, I may not lead; Walk beside me, and just be my friend."

Spam Lord

Postby Rainbow » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:35

h is a nice color, indeed. One of the fewest used in ET, as its not on 1-9 and qwe,asd.

Its everytime a little surprise to see more of a person behind a nick in game, and mostly positive.

Talented Spammer

Postby Sard » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:19

Enjoyed reading this :wink:
Still think that u should make another mistake and ban goku becus u love me and you can put as a reason : it's for your own good :)
Other then that, Nice questions and answers :)

By Jolly :)

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Sun Feb 14, 2010 17:37

nice interview, very interesting :)
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I am very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Spam God

Postby lazy-lion » Sun Feb 14, 2010 18:18

I enjoyed reading. Nice interview.
Great questions + answers.
You should do this more often. :D
I like interviews, then you gonna know some more about players.

Veteran

Postby wenszy » Sun Feb 14, 2010 20:16

good to know some more about you, vidje :)

we live in the same city yet i never known your real name, hehe.

Heat. I know… I know … but I like the comradeship between them and the professionalism with which they do their job. And the shooting scene after the bank robbery gives me goose bumps.

omg, i would ahve post exact the same thing!

nice interview cinek, good questions!
well to solve all my problems
to get out of drugs
i'd had enough of that
i decided i was gonna'
find a new way of life

Official Member

Postby Mefisto » Sun Feb 14, 2010 22:56

'o' enjoyed read this, gratz and thx interesting topic ( '...' )

Official Member

Postby paco » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55

Nice interview...
I think it's cool to know real soul of our HA's
+1 About origin your nick :D

8) Paco 8)

Server High Admin

Postby Smadje » Mon Feb 15, 2010 18:34

Pretty confirms what I thought about you :P

Was interesting, good job guys :)
quoting deep:
henksmadje please read topic more carefully and other topics too where u reply, then u get the point and dont have to make stupid posts.

Next

Return to Articles & Interviews