TJ tutorials for noobs and higher

Our 24 man ETJump house by Warren IP: 178.63.72.111:27961
Official Member

TJ tutorials for noobs and higher

Postby deep » Tue Sep 14, 2010 23:17

Intro:

There are 2 types of trickjumping: commonly called as 'Originals' and 'Gammas'. Originals are based on popular frag maps (like 'Oasis wall jump' or 'Fueldump roof jump' etc. combined into 1 map). Gamma jumps are what you can see in the fullbeat and halfbeat videos below. Originals usually consists of 1 main jump or a series of different jumps, while gammas have series of same type of jumps.

Terms:

pillar- blocks you jump on.
gamma- pillars in one set. (jump after jump etc.)
beat- combination of mouse motion and key strokes that grant u speed. (f.e. mouse left/AW)

fullbeat aka fb or strafe- TJ style (AW/WD)
halfbeat aka hb- TJ style (AW/D)
inverted aka inv- Tj style (A/D)
dualbeat aka db- TJ style (W)

overbounce- gives boost when landing from certain heights.

/com_maxfps 125 (or 43, 76, 333)
/pmove_fixed 1
/bind x save (saves your current location)
/bind x load (loads to the last save spot)

Download maps

Start jump tutorial:

When you start trickjumping, it's better to learn few basic gammas first. So to start doing gammas you need a good first jump. Follow these steps:

1. Aproach the gamma in a 90 degree angle, so that the jumps will stay left (or right) from your position. You should stand 1 step away from the edge, to give you some space for the turn.
  2. Move 2-3 steps forward (W), then turn 90 degrees facing the gamma, press and hold (AW) at the turning point.
  3. Jump (SPACE) right after you've turned, and keep turning your mouse slightly to your left (AW).

Startjump is also called circlejump or just beat.

Tips for strafe start jump:[youtube]
- Make sure you turn right amount, to go at the right direction.
- Try to turn as fast and correct as possible.
- Always keep the sprint and moving (AW/WD) buttons pressed down.
- Always keep your mouse moving (smoothly).

In fullbeat you press (AW + moving mouse left), and (WD + moving mouse right). Mouse moves in this radius only:

heres a vid showing it in normal and slow motion:

hf :P

(other tj techniques coming up soon)

In halfbeat you press (AW + moving mouse left), and (D + moving mouse right). Mouse moves in this radius only:

Video of halfbeat:

Overbouce happens when you land from a great height and slide slightly forward. The slide occurs only for a fraction, but if you manage to jump during it, you'll get huge amount of speed. It's all about timing for this one.

Tip: try to jump a millisecond after you've landed.
Tip2: OB only works with "pmove_fixed 1"

Basic vid showing how it looks like:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/B3QA4unCHhw&feature=related[/youtube]

When you encounter ice jumps you would want to strafe/hb on it like on the regular gammas. Your mouse movements should be exactly the same as on regular gammas.

Tip: Do long and smooth mouse strokes to the sides (AW/WD or AW/D etc.).
Tip 2: Jumping on ice will not increase your speed.
Last edited by deep on Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:20, edited 5 times in total.

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Tue Sep 14, 2010 23:34

very interesting, nice :good:
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I am very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Server High Admin

Postby lis » Wed Sep 15, 2010 19:40

nice! always wondered what the beats mean... :)

hi herr pfeiffer o/

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:52

I like this tutorial. I always wondered about this technique, where your jumps were 'one-sided', Diamond. And now I know it's halfbeat and I'll try it. One thing I still don't get is turning in air. I don't mean slightly turnin' mouse, but these ~90 degree turns, same like these we do while rebouncing on pillars. Is it just about switching WA>WD (or WD>WA) and quick angle change (like rebouncing in fullbeat)? I tried it few times, but it only slowed me down.

Spam Kid

Postby Method » Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:02

pretty nice vids ._.
looks like it took some time.. well done

icefrost wrote:arsch o/

ftw!
25cm

Official Member

Postby deep » Sun Sep 19, 2010 15:53

DMG_Kowi wrote:I like this tutorial. I always wondered about this technique, where your jumps were 'one-sided', Diamond. And now I know it's halfbeat and I'll try it. One thing I still don't get is turning in air. I don't mean slightly turnin' mouse, but these ~90 degree turns, same like these we do while rebouncing on pillars. Is it just about switching WA>WD (or WD>WA) and quick angle change (like rebouncing in fullbeat)? I tried it few times, but it only slowed me down.

yes, when you reach to 45 degrees to left, then you need to turn quickly to right and change from AW to WD at the same time. the angle you change with mouse depends on your speed: higher speed -> bigger angle. this just takes time to learn, or you could find a server with tjmod, where your angle vectors are displayed on screen.

this is your turn after first jump:
when you reach to the yellow line (AW), turn quickly to right (WD), skipping the light blue part, and then keep moving your mouse smoothly on the red. same thing to opposite side. and as your speed increases, the light blue part gets bigger, but never to 90 degrees.

now this is when you get high speed:
from yellow line turn to blue skipping the light blue (as fast as u can), and keep moving mouse smoothly to right on the red. when u reach the end to rights side quickly turn to the opposite side of blue.

to get the angles right you just need to practice and get the feel of it. wrong angles wont grant you speed.

and remember: when speed increases-> the switch angle increases, and also the mouse movement on red area goes little more slow on smooth.

edit: this same technique is use in airstrafe and also when sliding on ice.
Last edited by deep on Sun Sep 19, 2010 21:59, edited 1 time in total.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sun Sep 19, 2010 16:22

nicely made ;)

Will come in handy while playing baserace :D
(for both clearing mines and stealing obj :))
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Official Member

Postby deep » Tue Jun 28, 2011 13:29

Added Intro, overbounce, load and save + bugs, ice gamma tutorials.

Return to PS #7: Discussion