[HowTo] install ET on Ubuntu Linux Guide

Share your custom configs, homemade binds, ET related programs, etc.
Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:37

http://www.speedyshare.com/423750678.html

Ehh I think Warren understands this :P

It says smth like that i have multiple software control programs running, how can i fix that?
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Spam Noob

Postby insertor » Sun Aug 23, 2009 10:51

I have the problem INTERGY VIOLATION #2006 but i cannot update my PB!

When I do exactly what you wrote it tells me that I'm not the owner of the computer so i cannot change the permissions.

What should I do about that?

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Sun Aug 23, 2009 11:53

1) you own your PC and you know its password right?
2) you are administrator
3) you use sudo

also check that the file you try to run has rights to run. Post some console output if you can.

Veteran

Postby Spyhawk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:15

:arrow: CPU affinity: HOW TO
- improve performance on Dual Core CPU
- NoQuarter 1.2.5 and newer only

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:51

Spyhawk wrote::arrow: CPU affinity: HOW TO
- improve performance on Dual Core CPU
- NoQuarter 1.2.5 and newer only

hm... is it better to make the game run on more processors? (I have quatro core) Or could I better let it be as it is, or make it run on one processor only? (processors have 512 each)

Im such a nab in this stuff xD

Veteran

Postby Spyhawk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 10:56

No, ET is such an old game that using 2+ CPUs slow it. Use only 1 core.

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Tue Aug 25, 2009 14:56

But in NQ 1.2.5 you can decided how many cores you use and also "bypasses" this restriction, making it useful to use more than one core or?

Veteran

Postby Spyhawk » Tue Aug 25, 2009 15:44

Hum, it seems to me that the client isn't working properly/is not optimized on multi core CPU for some weird version, and that it is better to run it on a single core (but can't find again the source where I read this... need to be confirmed).

Anyway, this option is actually useful for server (running 2 different servers on a Dual Core), less on a client (running 2 clients on a Dual Core ??). I am really not sure if using multi-core architecture with ET

It might be really useful in the future, if the ET engine is optimized to run on multi-core CPU (it isn't actually, because atm it is still closed source).

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Tue Oct 27, 2009 20:15

*bump*

New way of using ET and music at the same time: Totem Mediaplayer! It was originally made for playing movies, but it also works fine with music :)

Download here, I hope it works (it was already installed on my PC when I got it): http://www.afreecodec.com/linux/156/tot ... /download/

I still need to learn how to install things on my PC, I have been looking at some free to download games but everytime I fail in playing them :P Anyone feel like helping me, I am too lazy to use google...

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Tue Oct 27, 2009 20:51

Yes it is a way I guess, but then again, its quite simple and hasnt got much options. Sure you can make a playlist, but thats about it. Good find thou, wouldnt have made that solution up myself :D

Edit: Fixed some grammar on the main post.
Edit: Fixed some grammar on this post

Bronze Star

Postby Van_Helsing_ITA » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:57

HI all
I've just installed ET on ubuntu 9.10 and when i'm playing, i always see this message:

PunkBuster Client: Hacked Cvar: cg_tracerwidth

What's the problem?

Thnx

Van Helsing

Spam Lord

Postby Rainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:13

IceCreamy wrote:*bump*

New way of using ET and music at the same time: Totem Mediaplayer! It was originally made for playing movies, but it also works fine with music :)

Download here, I hope it works (it was already installed on my PC when I got it): http://www.afreecodec.com/linux/156/tot ... /download/

I still need to learn how to install things on my PC, I have been looking at some free to download games but everytime I fail in playing them :P Anyone feel like helping me, I am too lazy to use google...
You should use Synaptic (or "apt-get" in console) to install programs. There everything happens automatically, also the programs get automatically their updates via synaptic-updater.

oh, and as Media Player i can suggest you Rythmbox. Its easy-to-use, also the shortcuts should work ingame.

@VanHelsing
PunkBuster Client: Hacked Cvar: cg_tracerwidth
This is a well-known bug in punkbuster. It should be solved when you update all parts of punkbuster (with a tool called pbweb). if you dont know how to do that, or if it not help you should contact EvenBalance for help with that.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:40

I have tried Rythmbox, but somehow it fails with me. I am a real n**b when it comes to Linux, I know how to browse my virtual drive finally :D (yes, after 3 months... Don't laugh! :D)

Rainbow wrote:You should use Synaptic (or "apt-get" in console) to install programs. There everything happens automatically, also the programs get automatically their updates via synaptic-updater.

I have no idea what Synaptic is, sorry. Start with the basics, don't make it hard on me :stupid:

Spam Lord

Postby Rainbow » Wed Nov 04, 2009 16:19

Synaptic is a program to install/uninstall/update/maintain software that is installed.
You can access it via a shortcut (if you find it, sth like "Synaptic packet management"). Or you open a console (somewhere you can find a shortcut for this, too). Then a command promp screen appears. Here you can type in "sudo synaptic", enter your password and synaptic starts, in it, you can search for package names, so e.g. type in "totem" and checkbox' what you want to install,t hen apply changes.
Synaptic is so useful because it detects per default what additional packages needed (e.g. a audio codec if you install a media player) and install them too.

hope to helped,
rainbow

Official Member

Postby Blasius » Fri Nov 06, 2009 21:13

i installed karmic Koala and have already installed et...it works but no xfire :(
i have ati hd3850 and have always at least 90 fps but it looks like i have lag...or really? :lol:
is there any xfire clone to this distro? and should i try amd ati 9.10 driver?
now i have the closed fglrx graphic driver
thx Wolf

Spam Lord

Postby Rainbow » Sat Nov 07, 2009 0:47

I use the IM Pidgin with the plug-in "Gfire". On my netbook. Maybe the xfire client works with WINE. but i dont think so^^

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sat Nov 07, 2009 22:03

I used to use xfire under Pidgin, as I do with MSN. But, it fails, as it went on- and offline every few seconds, so now I stopped using xfire. Any solutions are welcome though :D

xfire client doesn't work with WinE, don't even bother trying xD Or tell me how it works, then I can use it too :D

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Thu Nov 12, 2009 19:39

Yet another way to get your sounds work, pretty similiar to Spyhawk's and mine.
Sorce: http://nullkey.ath.cx/~stuff/et-sdl-sound/

1. Download http://nullkey.ath.cx/~stuff/et-sdl-sou ... und.tar.gz and extract to safe location.

2. Create new text file and put in following text:

Code: Select all
#!/bin/bash
export ETSDL_SDL_LIB="libSDL.so"
export SDL_AUDIODRIVER="alsa"
cd <game>
LD_PRELOAD="${LD_PRELOAD}:/<path>/et-sdl-sound.so" ./<game>.x86 $*

NOTE that you have to change some text in this script by yourself, for example the path to ET directory (usually home/user_name/enemy-territory)

3. Save and give execution rights to your file (from file's properities) and exec.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Fri Dec 18, 2009 11:07

hmm, anyone feels like telling me how to install ETPro on Linux?

Also: link from first post in fixing 2.60b fails, I get an error.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sat Dec 19, 2009 21:52

ahaa, it now says I have incorrect ET.exe version. I downloaded 2.60b patch but somehow it doesn't work... also I downloaded ETpro 3.2.6 but now I can't test if it works :|

Help needed please! :)

Server High Admin

Postby GoldenBullet » Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:47

Updated the link for you :)

Try reinstalling and joining PS#PRO server with webdownload = 1. Also if you have 64system, not 32, I think there's other version for that...

Also, google can save you :D

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:19

that link works but I already downloaded that file...

I googled for half an hour before posting here, lol ^^

Veteran

Postby Spyhawk » Tue Jan 12, 2010 23:46

I'm not sure if it's really related, but it seems that I solved my fps drop problem :

I had a *huge* FPS drop after 3-4 min of playing (~80FPS to 10-5), so the game started to be unplayble for me. I was using the precompiled et-sdl-sound library (compiled for Gentoo) on my openSUSE system. I tried to compile my own library, and it seems that my FPS problem is gone.

But this sound strange to me.. :roll:
Still need to test much more, but I hope I solved the issue.

Spam Noob

Postby Player » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:18

Is anybody using et-sdl-sound successfully on karmic?

It works initially, but the sound will be gone after a new map or an unlag event. I can only get reliable sound by closing amarok and playing directly through /dev/dsp without et-sdl-sound.

I already tried lots of different approaches to fix it, but nothing helps.

Veteran

Postby Spyhawk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 18:23

It's working fine on my system, but I'm using openSUSE, not Ubuntu. Both system should be anyway pretty similar.
Edit: Have a look at your PulseAudio configuration.. I've read on many developers website that PA integration on Ubuntu is a bit chaotic, and need some tweaks to work perfectly.

PreviousNext

Return to PS Techz0ne