Advice on a new Laptop

Share your custom configs, homemade binds, ET related programs, etc.
Server High Admin

Advice on a new Laptop

Postby davies » Sat Feb 25, 2012 14:14

Hey guys,

Approximately 5,5 years ago I bought myself my first computer, it was laptop. I have been using this laptop with lots of pleasure but roughly a month ago it so called 'died'.

I'm currently looking for a new laptop, but, as some of you may know, I'm not really a tech guy when it gets to computer specifications etc. and that's why I need some help.

I'm looking for a laptop for good personal use. I want to be able to:
- Run sites with flash (Youtube, Prezi etc.) with ease.
- Run programs like Photoshop smoothly.
- Have the hardware to play ET on a smooth level. I'm not asking for 300 FPS like on my regular computer but 100+ would be ok!

I'm not really wanting to play games on it, as I have a normal computer and an Xbox360 Slim where I can play games on, it should just be able to play some ET and maybe some Minecraft.

I also want to use it specificly for showing a bit of the creative side of myself as Photoshopping. I also want to make video's, but the problem with my current computer is that it just can't render video's decent, which sucks. I don't know what specification causes this, but maybe you know.

So again, main priorities:
-Schoolwork (presentations, word etc.)
-Creativity (Photoshop, edit and render video's)
-Little bit of games

Budget: Around €1000,- maximum.
Also: No Apple stuff.

Thanks in advance :)
ImageImage
ImageImage

Veteran

Postby Plastic_Jesus » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:55

So let's start from the proccessor, at least it should have something between dual-quad, when it comes to multiple tasks. That way videocard doesn't need to be anything super. I do not know anything about ATI cards but NVIDIA cards yes. And at least 8GB RAM. And hard drive, you decide that by yourself. Of course more the better. Then there wouldn't be any worries about ending space.

-*S
S.S.Atrocity wrote:Im pretty sure Saukko will have pages worth of bugs found before anyone knows about the release...lol

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:50

Saukko wrote:So let's start from the proccessor, at least it should have something between dual-quad, when it comes to multiple tasks. That way videocard doesn't need to be anything super. I do not know anything about ATI cards but NVIDIA cards yes. And at least 8GB RAM. And hard drive, you decide that by yourself. Of course more the better. Then there wouldn't be any worries about ending space.

-*S

Thanks Saukko :)

I will take this in charge by picking one. Glad you know something things about the RAM, processor and video-card. They're not my strongest points when it gets to technology :p . For the hard drive, think I'll just get a portable one :)

Any more input/suggestions?
ImageImage
ImageImage

Official Member

Postby Toup » Mon Feb 27, 2012 13:28

Since you don't have the option to buy the pieces and build it yourself (cheaper) because you're looking for a laptop, I'd suggest you pay really attention at the prices. Some stores just rip you off and others might have better equipment and price. But I guess that happens with everything.

Talented Spammer

Postby Vision » Mon Feb 27, 2012 21:15

If you go into editing and such, i suggest you get fastest HDD you can get or SDD. That will speed everything up for you.

Official Member

Postby ckEy » Mon Feb 27, 2012 23:20

Also, mind you, ordering top notch HW with inadequate intern. size/cooling might be overkill as well. I do have such a laptop, 17" wide with i7, 8G RAM inside etc., and even during the winter months I needn't turn on the heating. (On the other hand, if you are in a full lecture room and want to get immediate attention such a notebook can give you one - my fan starting to operate is in itself unforgettable experience).

Furthermore be aware that i7 (or in fact any high performance CPU) or a large monitor do drain the battery quite a lot when being fully used - if you value battery life over performance you could do just well by buying a smaller laptop with less energy consuming hw.

I haven't suggested any hardware in particular, more like pointed out one or two pitfalls you should consider before buying such a machine.

Best,
ckey

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Tue Feb 28, 2012 13:37

Aaah thanks guys!

Ye ckey, I understand it would drain battery but I primary want to use it in school and when I'm at my Dad's house. As long as my battery can go with me for like 2 hours I will be fine :)

For Vision's post, how do I recognize a good hard drive :lol:
ImageImage
ImageImage

Official Member

Postby ckEy » Tue Feb 28, 2012 13:42

davies wrote:For Vision's post, what does HDD/SDD actually mean? :lol:

Basically it is a different kind of hard drive. To quote wikipedia:

SSDs are distinguished from traditional magnetic disks such as hard disk drives (HDDs), which are electromechanical devices containing spinning disks and movable read/write heads. In contrast, SSDs use microchips that retain data ... and contain no moving parts. Compared to electromechanical HDDs, SSDs are typically less susceptible to physical shock, are silent, have lower access time and latency, but are more expensive per gigabyte (GB). SSDs use the same interface as hard disk drives, thus easily replacing them in most applications.

Veteran

Postby Plastic_Jesus » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:07

If there is any worries about the battery, take the recharger with you. I always use laptops while recharging the battery.

Though I am really waiting for my two SSDs to be attached on my computer.

-*S
S.S.Atrocity wrote:Im pretty sure Saukko will have pages worth of bugs found before anyone knows about the release...lol

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:14

Yes recharging should be fine :)

Could somebody just tell me how I recognize a good processor?
I mean, why is an i7 2600K - 3,4 GHz - Cache L3 8MB better than an i5 2300K 3,3 GHz Cache L3 6MB? :p
ImageImage
ImageImage

Spam Pro

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:35

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/

the i7 is better

I would only buy an SSD if it fits within your budget and if you really need it... those things are too expensive :p

Server High Admin

Postby tomsen » Wed Feb 29, 2012 15:40

If you're searching for top offerings, i'm suggesting this side:

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/

More or less the best german webside with amazon to buy a laptop.

Server High Admin

Postby davies » Wed Feb 29, 2012 15:49

Thanks guys but I'd rather buy it from a Dutch store, because it easier to let them fix something when it's broken or deal with the warrantypapers.
ImageImage
ImageImage

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:13

relgycandy wrote:I do not know anything about ATI cards but NVIDIA cards yes. And at least 8GB RAM. And hard drive, you decide that by yourself.

dude u made three post on old topics before U post check last reply date :)

Server High Admin

Postby PolygonWindow » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:00

i guess it is about gold..

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 12:35

yeah he want to sell fake gold for games:D

Server Owner

Postby Ninjadeer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 14:19

PlasticJesus wrote:I do not know anything about ATI cards but NVIDIA cards yes. And at least 8GB RAM. And hard drive, you decide that by yourself.

relgycandy wrote:I do not know anything about ATI cards but NVIDIA cards yes. And at least 8GB RAM. And hard drive, you decide that by yourself.

Just spambot advertizing, already reported to Warren :wink:
Image thx for diamond :D

Official Member

Postby DMG_Kowi » Tue Feb 19, 2013 15:50

By the way a lot of such crap last days. 2-5 new forum members each day and every1 has just some website address in profile info.

Official Member

Postby Sidor » Tue Feb 19, 2013 16:22

so ban PlasticJesus damn bot:D

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Tue Feb 19, 2013 20:17

don't reply to old topics, thx.

/locked
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I am very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Return to PS Techz0ne