Suggestion - Report Button

Everything related to our website: report bugs, broken links, offensive posts, etc.
Spam Pro

Suggestion - Report Button

Postby Dre_of_chaos » Thu Feb 04, 2010 17:53

I got a small suggestion of putting a Report Button with every post (next to the Reply button for instance).

The reason for this suggestion is because in my oppinion there is way to much spam and useless posts in this forum. Some people just want to see the number next to 'Total Posts' increase but they are kind of wasting our time with it.

How this would work: if there is a useless post somewhere: ET help desk, Person A needs help, person B give's the solution and then Person C comes and only reads Person A's post. After that person C posts the same solution as person B did... And we all know what happens after that, everybody jumps on the thread and starts posting instead of just helping by not posting.

Also if we could have this Report Button, and a certain person gets reported an amount of times (lets say 10), he or she gets banned for a week.

If this is possible, could this be implemented? I've seen it on other forums and I started wondering about having it here :) .

Spam Lord

Postby Rainbow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 18:02

80% here is spam, from regulars and members.

and a certain person gets reported an amount of times (lets say 10), he or she gets banned for a week.

So if i dont like a certain person i just go and look his/her posts up, report all and laugh? :P deal.

Spam God

Postby IceCreamy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 18:05

good idea, I quit reading most topics since there is nothing useful there either.

Once you click this 'Report' button then a message will be sent to someone, then this person can look at how useless/spammy/annoying/insulting this post is, and take measures if necessary.

Too bad that this is apperantly needed, it's not quite usual to me.
My Skype account: IceCreamChris
Feel free to add me :)

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Thu Feb 04, 2010 19:15

ye, looks like a good idea to me as well.
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I am very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Veteran

Postby Scuba_Steve » Thu Feb 04, 2010 19:36

As i see it Moderators are pretty strict on the posting behaviour. If you ask me it's good as it is, as they say. 'Never change a winning team'.

Official Member

Postby deep » Thu Feb 04, 2010 20:49

there's gonna be lots of work for mods then. like rainbow said: 80% posts r spam.

Server Owner

Postby stephan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 20:51

I think the better way would be to disable Post Counter ;)
Oh and the implementation of such a function is pretty easy :)

Bronze Star

Re: Suggestion - Report Button

Postby GokuSan » Thu Feb 04, 2010 21:51

Dre_of_chaos wrote:
The reason for this suggestion is because in my oppinion there is way to much spam and useless posts in this forum. Some people just want to see the number next to 'Total Posts' increase but they are kind of wasting our time with it.

Just donate and the bar will be full very quick! :D
And "a lot of work for mods".. They're here for that, right? They don't have to check immediatly every report, but now and then..

Website Moderator

Postby icefrost » Thu Feb 04, 2010 22:09

ye well, the idea behind it isn't that wrong. might it could work to set it like that, if ppl feel spammed and the spam button get's bushed xx times every moderator will recive a message or the post just gets deleted immidently, only if that's possible tho. anyway, as i allready told in the member forum, i'm also a bit annoyed about all these spam replys and will care about it soon as well, no matter with such a nice button or not.
"Some people believe football is a matter of life and death.
I am very disappointed with that attitude.
I can assure you it is much, much more important than that."

Spam Pro

Postby Jolly » Thu Feb 04, 2010 22:26

hmm.. but what about "fun and nonsense corner"? this is 100% spam so everyone will be reported there?
sorry for my english. If you don't understand me i'm sorry =[

Spam God

Postby flow » Thu Feb 04, 2010 22:35

report button bah, if im right then those "reports" would shown to moderators in top of site, and i guess there would come over 100reports (reports from same post are counted?) in one day...and if mods would have to check those all it would be very annoying for them, and it would be off from their playing time :D

just my tip, dont add it :)

and imo it is just good that forum have much traffic (forum/site price will raise xD )
(more ads income etc...)
[ǝʌɐS-ԀX] 2# uoɹpɐnbS ǝɯ!ɹԀ Ⅎo uǝℲ

Server High Admin

Postby blazing » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:13

just don't install it,
who are we to judge what is spam or not?

if like you said reply on topic to help someone though somebody else already did ad i didn't see it i should get punished?

i agree with you the useless replie's are getting more and more and more.
but with a report button there will be no doing for admins to check it up,

for example:
if i dislike you i would be easier to report you then to somebody i like,

this will then be a warzone.

just let it like it is now and let the spammers just /kill themself.

thanks diamond:)

Veteran

Postby Scuba_Steve » Fri Feb 05, 2010 13:58

I think a report button / system won't work. Anonymous players will be able to start spamming the button and get the moderators lots of work. I also think developing a system as such takes a lot of time and for the situation at the moment i dont think that will be much rewarding.

My suggestion:

Note people specificaly on the Forum Rules and bring it under peoples attention. Then create topic in the MF/AF/HA Forum with an alphabet. Everyone who breaks the rules gets a PM from a moderator with the specific rule broken and gets listed in that alphabet. When a moderator warns someone he/she can look up in that topic and see if that person has a rulebreaking history. If that's the case the rulebreaker can get reported again, and Administrators can take measures such as a temporary forum ban. And if it's very serious a permanent ban.

I'm familliar with this system and if updated and registrated disciplinary by the moderators and admins it's a cheap, well working system which can reduce the number of forum rulebreakers on the forum. I'm willing to give you a small push in the back.

Spam Lord

Postby Rainbow » Fri Feb 05, 2010 15:57

@Scuba_Steve
Its a forum here and no prison or such :roll:
I really dont like the idea there are "documents" about each of us somewhere, and the member/mod/admin/whatever collect information there about us.
Stasi says hello :(

Spam God

Postby flow » Fri Feb 05, 2010 16:34

Rainbow wrote:@Scuba_Steve
I really dont like the idea there are "documents" about each of us somewhere, and the member/mod/admin/whatever collect information there about us.

imo those kind of systems are made to keep community more user friendlier & avoid spamkids :)

(like me xD #1 post wh**e of year 2008 :) )
[ǝʌɐS-ԀX] 2# uoɹpɐnbS ǝɯ!ɹԀ Ⅎo uǝℲ

Veteran

Postby Scuba_Steve » Fri Feb 05, 2010 17:02

Rainbow wrote:@Scuba_Steve

I'll pop your bubble, there are already such 'documents'. And they are needed to keep track of any harmfull behaviour towards the community.

Website Manager

Postby warren-the-ape » Fri Feb 05, 2010 17:22

Dre_of_chaos wrote:If this is possible, could this be implemented? I've seen it on other forums and I started wondering about having it here :) .

Well, it's becoming more of a standard in most forum software these days, so we might incorporate it in some near future.

Spam and offtopic replies are of all times though, it usually comes in waves when certain people or groups of people register :roll: We're around for almost 4 years now, so most of us have seen a fair share of annoying posters already and know how to take care of it.

Jolly wrote:hmm.. but what about "fun and nonsense corner"? this is 100% spam so everyone will be reported there?

Lol, why is it 100% spam? Of course we are a little less strict in that section when it comes to topic subjects, but when you post a reply based on the topic start (f.e. post a joke in the post-your-joke-topic), there's nothing spammy or offtopic about it.

Scuba_Steve wrote:Anonymous players will be able to start spamming the button and get the moderators lots of work.

Who said they're anonymous? The advantage of such a feature is that abusers of the system can be caught (and punished) just as easily :) The hunter becomes the prey so to speak.

flow wrote:and i guess there would come over 100reports (reports from same post are counted?) in one day...and if mods would have to check those all it would be very annoying for them

Assumptions.. The delete button is just 1 click away ;)
"When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend." Image

Veteran

Postby Scuba_Steve » Fri Feb 05, 2010 17:50

warren-the-ape wrote:
Scuba_Steve wrote:Anonymous players will be able to start spamming the button and get the moderators lots of work.

Who said they're anonymous? The advantage of such a feature is that abusers of the system can be caught (and punished) just as easily :) The hunter becomes the prey so to speak.

Yea i know, but if any registered player can report, i'm not sure if it will be abusing proof system.

But as i said before, i think things are fine at the moment too,

Return to PS Website Input